Nov 13th 2016
This Week in Tech 588
New Phone, Who Dis?
Did Facebook help Donald Trump win the US Presidential Election? Apple's new MacBook Pro is selling better than last year's model. Google's Daydream View VR headsets are out, and they are hot. Literally. Twitter's COO leaves - is Twitter in trouble? Snapchat's new Spectacles go on sale - if you can find them. The Unicode Consortium approves 56 new emojis. Sadly, not Finland's suggested emojis - "sauna" and "heavy metal headbanger."
- Mike Elgan thinks that Facebook has to step up to the fact-checking bat when it comes to its News Feed.
- Alex Wilhelm can't stop tweeting - in fact, he's tweeting right now!
- Lauren Hockenson gives her first-hand impressions of the Daydream View
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/this-week-in-tech
Bandwidth for This Week in Tech is provided by CacheFly.
- Facebook's massive reach, abundance of emotionally charged fake stories, and lack of traditional gatekeepers helped Trump win
- Can Facebook Solve Its Macedonian Fake-News Problem?
- Zuckerberg: the idea that fake news on Facebook influenced the election is “crazy”
- Facebook says "there's so much more we need to do" to stop spread of fake or misleading posts
- How Bots, Twitter, and Hackers Pushed Trump to the Finish Line
- Jeff Bezos extended an olive branch to Amazon foe Donald Trump, but Amazon stock is tanking
- Breaking Up With Twitter
- Twitter's chief operating officer, Adam Bain, is leaving the company
- Apple MacBook Pro sales already set to surpass 2015 MacBook
- Review: Google’s Daydream View is casual VR done better w/ a game-changing controller
- YouTube VR is Daydream's killer app
- DDoS attack halts heating in Finland amidst winter
- Article: New attack reportedly lets 1 modest laptop knock big servers offline
- Russian banks hit by cyber-attack
- 412 million AdultFriendFinder accounts exposed in massive breach
- Snap to sell Spectacles through "Snapbot" vending machines in different locations for one day
- Unicode Approves Breastfeeding And Hijab Emoji
- Everything You Need to Know About Finland—In Four Emojis