Nov 6th 2016
This Week in Tech 587
Leaving the Apple Cult
Days before the US elections, we discuss the preeminence of social media, the difficulty of fact checking, and the loss of trust in the media that has occured this year. Is Apple's recent MacBook announcement an acknowledgement that they are no longer a Macintosh company? Samsung has received 85% of its recalled Note 7 phones - now they just have to get the 2.8 million potentially explosive diswashers they just recalled. Google home is out - how does it stack up against the Amazon Echo?
- Leo asked the question - if Apple has lost their mojo, where will the next great innovation come from?
- Jason said Elon Musk will save the world.
- Peter said Snapchat will revolutionize how we interract with one another.
- Jonathan said there is a solder monkey tinkering away in a garage somewhere that will outdo them all.
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/this-week-in-tech
Bandwidth for This Week in Tech is provided by CacheFly.
- Can Facebook Solve Its Macedonian Fake-News Problem?
- Wherefore art thou Macintosh?
- Apple temporarily cuts prices on all USB-C cables and accessories
- Susurface Studio
- Slack shows it’s worried about Microsoft Teams with a full-page newspaper ad
- Apple drops price of LG UltraFine 4K and 5K displays
- Google Home review: A step forward for hotwords, a step backward in capability
- U.S. Govt. Hackers Ready to Hit Back If Russia Tries to Disrupt Election
- Android installed on 9 in 10 mobile devices — a new record
- Apple Takes 104% of All Smartphone Profits Following Galaxy Note 7 Recall
- The RCS Mirage: "Advanced Messaging" is a mess in the US, and Google's "standard" is just one more
- Google’s DeepMind A.I. takes on something even more complicated than chess or go: StarCraft II
- YouTube Red only has 1.5 million paying subscribers
- Samsung to hobble Galaxy Note 7 charging in US with software
- Samsung and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission are recalling 2.8 million of Samsung's top-loading washing machines
- New Zealand carriers will cut off access to the Note 7 from Nov 18
- Steve Ballmer Says Smartphones Strained His Relationship With Bill Gates
- New Snap Inc. charter filing shows co-founders Evan Spiegel and Bobby Murphy
- Get LastPass Everywhere: Multi-Device Access Is Now Free! | The LastPass Blog