Oct 23rd 2016
This Week in Tech 585
I Can't Wait Till 2021
IoT DDOS, two-factor fails, Pixel's Google Assistant, Tesla Kool-Aid, and more
A massive botnet of IoT devices took down Dyne DNS, knocking several major US websites off line in a DDOS attack Friday. Hackers were able to break into John Podesta and Colin Powell's Gmail accounts via a simple phishing scheme. Both Microsoft and Apple will hold events next week announcing new hardware - rumors predict an all-in-one Surface PC and new MacBook Pro laptops, respectively. Google's Pixel phones are out, and with Samsung damaged by Note 7 explosions, their timing couldn't be better. AT&T acquires Time-Warner. And Tesla announces full self-driving hardware will be in all new Tesla cars.
- David Pogue says that Friday's DDOS attack is just the beginning, and we have almost no ability to protect against the next attack.
- Steve Kovach lost sleep over the AT&T - Time-Warner merger - he says the deal was rushed to stay ahead of rumor.
- Leo says there are only two flagship phones anyone should buy now - the iPhone 7 and the Google Pixel.
<p>Download or subscribe to this show at <a href="https://twit.tv/shows/this-week-in-tech">https://twit.tv/shows/this-wee… for This Week in Tech is provided by <a href="https://www.cachefly.com/" target="_blank">CacheFly</a>.</p>
- The Washington Post: Someone attacked a major part of the Internet’s infrastructure
- Internet Attack Spreads, Disrupting Major Websites - The New York Times
- IoT Home Router Botnet Leveraged in Large DDoS Attack
- Source Code for IoT Botnet ‘Mirai’ Released — Krebs on Security
- How Hackers Broke Into John Podesta and Colin Powell’s Gmail Accounts | Motherboard
- Cops Have a Database of 117M Faces. You’re Probably in It
- On the wikileak-ed emails between Tanden and... | LESSIG Blog, v2
- Apple plans to launch new Macs at an October 27 event - Recode
- New MacBook Pro and 13-Inch 'MacBook' Coming Next Week, iMac and Display Not Ready Yet
- More than 90% of ‘genuine’ Apple chargers & cables sold on Amazon are fake, says Apple | 9to5Mac
- Google Has Quietly Dropped Ban on Personally Identifiable Web Tracking - ProPublica
- Google Pixel: the Android iPhone you've been waiting for
- When Moonshots Fall Back to Earth
- Patriots’ Bill Belichick dumps Surface tablets in five minute rant | Ars Technica
- Historic Achievement: Microsoft researchers reach human parity in conversational speech recognition - Next at Microsoft
- Elon Musk Reddit AMA starting at 3pm PT
- AT&T agrees in principle to buy Time Warner for $85 billion: sources | Reuters
- Leo Beranek, Engineer Involved in Internet Precursor, Dies at 102 - The New York Times