Jun 30th 2019
This Week in Tech 725
Ubers in the Mud
This Week's Stories
- The iPhone turns 12 today
- Jony Ive is leaving Apple
- Can AirPods actually harm your ears?
- Apple is going to manufacture Mac Pros in China
- Say goodbye to your Microsoft eBooks
- Another city just got hacked!
- Boeing's $9 an hour solution to a shortage of engineers working on the 737 Max
- Verizon will lock cell phones to networks for up to 60 days
- It looks like Huawei is back in business
- White Hats are helping hotels find vulnerabilities
- Cloudflare was offline for a few hours this week
- Are Huawei phones more vulnerable to hacks than other smartphones?
- A potential hacked was averted with 7 words!
- Why is GrubHub buying up web addresses?
- Want to fit in, in Silicon Valley? You must learn "Bro Talk" then
- Hans Zimmer has composed the sound of BMW's new concept car
- Is Twitter finally getting serious about harmful tweets?
- Some drivers in Colorado find themselves in a muddy field after following Googles Maps
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/this-week-in-tech
- Why AirPods—and Earbuds Like Them—Are Especially Bad for Your Hearing | One Zero
- Apple Design Chief Jony Ive Steps Down: How It Happened | Bloomberg
- Daring Fireball: Jony Ive Is Leaving Apple
- Apple Moves Mac Pro Production to China | WSJ
- The iPhone Is a Breakthrough Handheld Computer - Walter S. Mossberg and Katherine Boehret, The Mossberg Solution
- Gizmodo: Dozens of Drivers Got Stuck After Blindly Following Google Maps Into a Mud Pit | Gizmodo
- The Huawei rollercoaster continues as Google gets a green light to license Android again | PC World
- Twitter will now hide — but not remove — harmful tweets from public figures | The Verge
- Here's why your Microsoft eBooks won't work next month | The Next Web
- Microsoft's Ebook Apocalypse Shows the Dark Side of DRM | WIRED
- Second Florida city pays giant ransom to ransomware gang in a week | ZDNet
- I was 7 words away from being spear-phished | Robert Heaton
- Huawei Telecom Gear Much More Vulnerable to Hackers Than Rivals' Equipment, Report Says | WSJ
- How Verizon and a BGP Optimizer Knocked Large Parts of the Internet Offline Today
- The Hotel Hackers Are Hiding in the Remote Control Curtains | Bloomberg
- FCC lets Verizon lock cell phones to network for 60 days after activation | Ars Technica
- GrubHub is buying up thousands of restaurant web addresses. That means Mom and Pop can’t own their slice of the internet
- Hans Zimmer designed the sound for BMW’s futuristic concept car | The Verge
- Boeing's 737 Max Software Outsourced to $9-an-Hour Engineers | Bloomberg
- How to speak Silicon Valley: 53 essential tech-bro terms explained | US news | The Guardian