On this episode of The New Screen Savers for Saturday, January 6, 2017, with Leo Laporte and Jason Snell:
- The new iMac Pro is here, and what better show for Leo and Jason to give reviews. They put the machine through its paces and run multiple programs at the same time.
- Have you heard of Biohacking? Josiah Zayner is known for hacking his body. The former NASA scientist has a Ph.D. in molecular biology and biophysics and is the first person to modify his own genome. He edits DNA using CRISPR and injects it into his body, all in his DIY home lab.
- Steve Gibson joins us to discuss the big story this week- the Meltdown and Spectre CPU flaws.
- Jason Howell has a few apps to help you complete your New Year's resolutions.
- Megan Morrone shows us an app to get our Yoga on.
- Plus, iguanas are 'freezing' in Florida.
Thanks to CacheFly for the bandwidth for this show.
- Iguanas are falling out of trees in Florida because it's so cold. Please don't pick them up.
- White noise video on YouTube hit by five copyright claims
- World Leaders on Twitter
- Meltdown and Spectre papers
- Kernel-memory-leaking Intel processor design flaw forces Linux, Windows redesign
- Intel says processor bug isn’t unique to its chips and performance issues are ‘workload-dependent’
- Apple iMac Pro
- Modifying Your Own Genes Is Just An Injection Away–If You’re Feeling Lucky
- A BITTER PILL
- Biohackers are using CRISPR on their DNA and we can’t stop it
- Converting JPEG to HEIF and why it's a bad idea
- Create an ISO image for Boot Camp from Windows installation media