Padre shows how to build your own awesome hydroponic vase with LED's!
We're going to make a single-plant, soiless grow vase that uses standard hydroponic equipment
- 5" Glass Cylinder Vase
- The 3D Printed parts fit a 5" (wide) vase, but you can choose how tall you want it to be
- Just FYI: The taller your vase, the closer the plant will be to the LED light panel
- 2.5" to 3.5" Hard Drive Adapter Bracket
- This is from the "Junk Build" -- Many have spare brackets from previous upgrades.
- If you don't have an adapter bracket, you can use any piece of metal that can fit in the LED enclosure
- CPU Heatsink and Fan
- This is also from the "Junk Build"
- If you don't have a spare CPU HS/Fan, you can use any fan that fits into the LED Enclosure
- 5050smd LED Strip (1 Spool)
- These are ULTRA bright Blue LEDs
- If you want to balance your light, you can also get some RED 5050smd LEDs
- Aquarium Air Pump
- You need a pump, tubing and air stone
- You want something QUIET!
- If possible, get a DC pump
- 3" Net Cup
- Thermal Adhesive
- This will attach the fan/HS to the metal piece holding the LEDs
- Again, if you've done an upgrade, there's a chance that you might have some of this in your kit
- 12v Power Supply
- We got this from the Junk Build
- You can use ANY 12V Power Supply
- Aluminum Square Tubes
- If you want a taller AquaVase, get longer Square Tubes!
- Silicone Sealant
- 3D Printed Parts
* All these files can be found at: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9042212/KH241_AquaVase_LED.zip
Optional Parts List
** These parts aren't necessary for the operation of HydroVase, but they ARE cool and geeky! :)
- WS2812 LED Ring
- 433 Mhz Wireless Remote (4 Channel)
- 3D Printer
- Soldering Kit
- JST Power Connectors + Silicone wiring
We're designing a 3D object that will house our LEDs (Grow & Full Spectrum) atop the two aluminum risers
Intersting Design Features of the AquaVase_LEDFixture
- It is designed to fit a 2.5"-3.5" adapter plate
- It is designed to fit two .5" aluminum square tubes
- The design uses about 10mm of "underhang" to prevent the light from scattering into a room
- Import "a1_aquavase_led_fixture_array.stl"
- Import "a2_aquavase_led_fixture_PlateMount.stl
- Raise a2 by 7mm, and move into the existing plate mount holes (8mm)
- Use "Inspector" to turn a2 into "Hole"
- Import "a3_aquavase_led_fixture_Wings.stl"
- Import "a4_aquavase_led_fixture_WingVoids.stl"
- Raise a4 by 2mm
- Use "Inspector to turn a4 into "Hole"
- Import "a5_aquavase_led_fixture_RiserLock.stl"
- Raise a5 by 30mm
- Use "Inspector to turn a5 into "Hole"
- Import "a6_aquavase_led_fixture_holes.stl
- Use "Inspector" to turn a6 into "Hole"
- Import "a7_aquavase_led_fixture_MainVoid.stl"
- Raise a7 by 13mm 16. Use "Inspector" to turn a7 into "Hole"
Connect with us!
- Don't forget to check out our large library of projects at https://twit.tv/shows/know-how.
- Join our Google+ Community.
- Tweet at us at @PadreSJ, @Cranky_Hippo, and @Anelf3.
Thanks to CacheFly for the bandwidth for this show.