We finish part II of our hydroponic vase using LEDs and a 3D printed stand.
We're adding decorative LED lights to our AquaVase Parts List
* These parts aren't necessary for the operation of HydroVase, but they ARE cool and geeky! :)
- WS2812 SMD Strips
- Voltage Regulator
- 26-30 AWG Silicone Wire
- Heat Shrink Tubing
- 3D Printer
- Soldering Kit
- Hot Glue Gun
** All of the STL files can be found at: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9042212/KH242_AquaVase_Base.zip
We're designing a 3D object that can hold our 5" Vase and the electronics to illuminate the bottom.
Interesting Design Features of the AquaVase_Base
- The bottom panel is 2MM thick and the shell is between 2-3mm
- The stands for the aluminum square tubes are 2-3mm thick and are supported by the bottom panel & their connection to the lower vase ring
- There are curved buildouts on either side of the lower vase ring that will hold the WS2812 LEDs
- There is a port towards the read of the base for providing power to the Arduino and WS2812s
- Import a1_Hollow_BottomShell.stl
- Use the "Inspector" to turn the a1 into a "Hole"
- Import a2_Solid_BottomShell.stl
- Import a3_UpperVaseSupportRing.stl
- Import a4_VaseHollow.stl
- Use the "Inspector" to turn a4 into a "Hole"
- Export as "Shell A"
Delete All Objects from the Build Platform
- Import b1_BottomShell_Platform.stl
- Import b2_Base_Hole.stl (Turn it into a "Hole")
- Import b3_VaseSupportRing.stl
- Import b4_RiserHollow.stl
- Raise b4 by 2mm
- Use the "Inspector" to turn b4 into a "Hole"
- Import "Shell_A"
- Export Base
Integration - Part II (Base)
- Cut your LED strips to match the LED holders in the Base Frame
- Measure/Cut/Strip/Tin your wires to connect the LED strips to the Arduino controller
- Solder your strips to the controller
- Pin 3 to Strip 1 DIN
- Strip 1 DOUT to Strip 2 DIN
- GND to Strip 1 GND
- Strip 1 GND to Strip 2 GND
- 5V to Strip 1 VIN
- Strip 1 VIN to Strip 2 VIN
- Solder the Voltage Regulator to the Arduino
- 5V to VIN
- GND to GND
- Load code to Arduino
- Attach LED Strips to LED Supports
- Run power out the access port
- Connect all power leads to the 4 channel Remote
- Cut one of the power wired to the pump and run it through Channel A (A-B)
- 12 Volt GND to the GND leads of the Remote, Grow LEDs, Full Spectrum LEDs, and Arduino VoltReg
- 5V Power to Remote, Chan B-B, Chan C-B, Chan D-B
- Arduino 5V to Chan B-A
- Grow LED 5V to Chan C-A
- Full Spectrum LED 5V to Chan D-A
<p><b>Connect with us!</b></p><ul><li>Don't forget to check out our large library of projects at <a href="https://twit.tv/shows/know-how">https://twit.tv/shows/know-how</a>.</li… our <a href="https://plus.google.com/communities/102778909882340711425" target="_blank">Google+ Community</a>.</li><li>Tweet at us at <a href="https://twitter.com/PadreSJ" target="_blank">@PadreSJ</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/Cranky_Hippo" target="_blank">@Cranky_Hippo</a>, and <a href="https://twitter.com/Anelf3" target="_blank">@Anelf3</a>.</li></ul><p>Thanks to <a href="https://www.cachefly.com/" target="_blank">CacheFly</a> for the bandwidth for this show.</p>