In this episode of Windows Weekly, Mikah Sargent is joined by Paul and Richard to discuss the latest Microsoft updates, news, and products. Paul chimes in on his experience at Microsoft's recent AI event, changes to Windows 11's confusing updates, last week's Xbox leaks, antitrust lawsuits against tech companies like Microsoft and Amazon, and more!
Microsoft Special Event: Blockbuster… or blockluster?
- Paul went to his first in-person Microsoft event in almost four years. You’re not going to believe what happened next!
- Ahead of the event, everyone was calling this a “Surface event” and some still are. But it was an AI event, period. Were our expectations met?
- Copilot “rebrand” was in many ways the biggest news
- Microsoft 365 Commercial arrives November 1 - And Microsoft 365 consumer is a thing
- Microsoft announced two Surface PCs at event, one with an NPU. And then two other Surface PCs/devices. Most of these do not matter
WTF is happening with Windows 11 23H2?
- We had a confusing several days, the perfect end-cap to a confusing year when it comes to Windows updating. But now we have the answers.
- At special event, Microsoft reveals it will ship “next major Windows 11 update” September 26. It’s 23H2! It’s not 23H2!
- One day after the event, Release Preview gets Fall Update
- Paul attempted to achieve some clarity ahead of John Cable’s post
- Microsoft releases the Fall Update (in preview form)
- Is Windows 11 finally where it needed to be when Microsoft shipped v1 two years ago?
Follow-ups to last week’s blockbuster news
- Panos Panay will succeed Dave Limp at Amazon
- Further examination of the leaked Xbox documents
- Microsoft’s reaction to the PS5 specs reveal is sort of clueless in retrospect
- Microsoft wanted to buy Nintendo. No, really. And it considered lots of companies
- UK CMA provisionally approves of Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- So of course the FTC revives its lost battle against Microsoft/AB. You can’t make this stuff
- FTC sues Amazon for monopoly abuse. Paul has questions. Lots of questions
Dev and AI
- Intel announced its Meteor Lake chipset BEFORE Microsoft event.
- Amazon buys Anthropic for $4 billion
- Amazon announces generative AI features for Alexa at its hardware event
- Google Studio Bot expands worldwide in preview
- Microsoft is moving Windows device driver development to Rust
- Unity: JUST KIDDING GUYS SERIOUSLY
- GitHub Passkeys are GA
- Cuphead anniversary update is on the way, Xbox only
- Microsoft tweaks how Xbox/OneDrive integration works in a “bonus Xbox update for September”
Tips and picks
- Tip of the week: Install the update, check the store
- App pick of the week: Amazon adBlocker
- RunAs Radio this week: SharePoint Online Features On-Prem with Sandy Ussia
- Brown liquor pick of the week: Pokeno Whisky
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly
Get episodes ad-free with Club TWiT at https://twit.tv/clubtwit
Check out Paul's blog at thurrott.com
The Windows Weekly theme music is courtesy of Carl Franklin.
- It’s All About AI, Not Hardware (Premium)
- Copilot Kudos and Confusion (Premium)
- Windows 11 Fall Update is Out With Copilot, New File Explorer, and More
- Microsoft Announces Security Advances Across Windows, Microsoft 365, More
- Microsoft 365 Copilot Will Be Available for Commercial Customers on November 1
- Microsoft Announces Surface Laptop Studio 2, Surface Laptop Go 3, and Surface Go 4
- Report: Microsoft is Refocusing its Surface Business on More Popular Form Factors
- Windows 11 Version 23H2 Will Be Released on September 26
- The Next Windows 11 Update (Premium)
- Copilot in Windows and Other 23H2 Features Starts Rolling Out to Release Preview Insiders
- Windows 11, the Fall Update, 23H2, and You (Premium)
- The 23H2 Mystery, Solved (Premium)
- Windows Insider Release Preview Channel Moves Forward to 23H2
- Panos Panay is Amazon’s new Devices & Services Leader
- Redacted: PlayStation 5 Reveal (Premium)
- Redacted: Acquisitions (Premium)
- Intel to Launch its ‘Meteor Lake’ Core Ultra CPUs on December 14
- Amazon Announces Up to $4 Billion Investment in AI Startup Anthropic
- Amazon Unveils Generative AI Features for Alexa and New Smart Home Devices
- Google Expands Studio Bot to Over 170 Countries
- Microsoft is Looking to Rust for Windows Driver Development Too
- Unity Apologies, Makes Big Changes to Runtime Fee
- GitHub Passkeys Are Generally Available
- Cuphead’s Xbox Anniversary Update Brings a Bevy of Behind-the-Scenes Content Exclusively to Xbox Fans
- Microsoft Tweaks How Xbox Game DVR Works With New OneDrive Integration
- Amazon adBlocker
- SharePoint Online Features On-Prem with Sandy Ussia
- Pokeno Whisky