It's a BIG news episode this week, as Leo Laporte and Paul Thurrott discuss the sudden departure of Panos Panay from Microsoft to Amazon. Did he jump or get pushed out of the company? Leo and Paul also dive into a massive leaked memo about Microsoft's Xbox roadmap and plans over the next 10 years. Other topics include Microsoft's upcoming event focused on AI integration across products like Windows, Office 365, and Surface, as well as online account consolidation and Google's Takeout service.
We’re down a Panay
- After his curiously off-kilter performance at Build 2023 this past May, Microsoft reveals that it is parting ways with Panos Panay. Are these things related?
- He’s landing at Amazon devices, which makes sense given David Limp is retiring
- Multiple Microsoft executives and employees have reached out privately about this
- Comparisons to Terry Myerson’s exit
Blockbuster Xbox leak
- Major Xbox leak reveals Xbox Series X|S mid-season upgrades, next-gen console, new controller, and more
- This is one of the top three Microsoft leaks that’s happened in Paul's nearly 30 years of covering this company
- An analysis of just one of the documents in this leak reveals an incredible amount of strategy information for the next 10 years
- And one about the reaction to the PS5 reveal
Microsoft's upcoming AI event
- Expectations for this event, the kick-off for Microsoft’s full-on client AI push
- Sub-analysis: This could be Microsoft CTO Kevin Scott’s “Ray Ozzie moment.” There’s a profile of this mostly unknown in the WSJ
- Intel announces NPU-powered Core Ultra CPUs - off schedule? Related to the MSFT event?
- Bing Chat gains two new mobile integrations
- Paint keeps getting AI features. Remember when Paint was the laughing stock of Windows 11 apps?
- No new builds (of substance, there was an RP build).
- Windows Photos, Snipping Tool, and Phone Link are all getting new features in Insider. Is Microsoft finally taking its in-box apps seriously (again)?
- Google extends the support lifecycle for ChromeOS, solving the single biggest criticism of this platform. This is problematic for Microsoft
- EU will reject Microsoft’s offer to unbundle Teams from Microsoft 365
- Surface Laptop Studio 2 and Laptop Go 3 leak. They will likely be announced at the special event
- Microsoft announces more Xbox Game Pass titles for September
- Bethesda’s The Elder Scrolls VI will be an Xbox exclusive.
Tips and picks
- Tip of the week: Consolidate and organize your online accounts
- App pick of the week: Google Takeout
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly
Get episodes ad-free with Club TWiT at https://twit.tv/clubtwit
Check out Paul's blog at thurrott.com
The Windows Weekly theme music is courtesy of Carl Franklin.
- Microsoft’s Chief Product Officer Panos Panay is Leaving Microsoft
- Report: Panay is Headed to Amazon Devices
- Panos (Premium)
- Terry (Premium)
- Microsoft’s Xbox Roadmap Leaks: Xbox Series X|S Refresh, New Controller, and More
- Redacted: Achieve Industry Leadership by 2030 (Premium)
- Redacted: PlayStation 5 Reveal (Premium)
- Stadia is Dead and Xbox Needs its Best Feature (Premium)
- It’s All About AI, Not Hardware (Premium)
- The Executive Trying to Make Microsoft Smarter About AI
- Intel to Launch its ‘Meteor Lake’ Core Ultra CPUs on December 14
- Bing Chat Adds Two New Mobile Integration Features
- Paint Adds Support for Layers and Transparency With New Insider Update
- Windows Photos, Snipping Tool, and Phone Link Add New Features for Insiders
- Google Now Promises 10 Years of Automatic Updates for Chromebooks
- Report: Microsoft Unbundling Teams From Office 365 Won’t Prevent Formal EU Complaint
- Official Renders of Microsoft’s Surface Laptop Studio 2 and Laptop Go 3 Leak
- Gotham Knights, Payday 3, and More Are Coming to Game Pass
- Bethesda’s The Elder Scrolls VI Will Be Xbox Exclusive
- Google Takeout