Mar 8th 2023
Windows Weekly 819
Sixty-four Threads but None for You
Hosted by Leo Laporte, Paul Thurrott, Richard Campbell
Windows Insider Canary Channel, video super resolution, Outlook for Mac goes free
Records live every Wednesday at 2:00pm Eastern / 11:00am Pacific / 18:00 UTC.
Microsoft adds Windows 12 to the Insider Program
- Last week’s feature release shows you how these Insider channels map to the next release, which is sometimes a Moment now and not just a formal Feature Update. Don’t worry. They didn’t tell anyone that.
- Canary - big changes that need lots of incubation time (e.g. kernel changes), no release target
- Dev - changes that need incubation, no release target
- Beta- testing changes targeting the next release
- Release preview - testing changes that are slated to ship imminently in the next release barring any major explosions (e.g. printers)
- Stable - nothing works
- First Canary build today: Access keys and File Recommendations in File Explorer, LSA Protection Enablement on upgrade.
- Dev channel: This channel is “rebooted” to 23000 series now, per above. This build has live captions in more languages, access keys in the File Explorer context menus (another Win11 regression), Recommendations in File Explorer, and other changes.
- Dev channel (last week): Microsoft is working on a new volume mixer.
- Microsoft is bringing “video super resolution" to Microsoft Edge
- We’re still not done with PC maker results: Dell goes down in Q4 too
- Satya Nadella, marketing AI, now says that Cortana was “dumb as a rock.” Come on.
- Microsoft to talk up AI in work next week
- Microsoft talks up AI in Microsoft 365 - this will never end now
- Microsoft brings more AI to devs at Azure Open Source Day
- Brave Search adds an AI-powered Summarizer
- DuckDuckGo adds a similar Answer feature
- Microsoft Outlook is now free on the Mac
- EU likely to approve Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard. Told you so?
- Halo Infinite Season 3 is live. Can it save this game?
- Halo players have created over one million maps with Forge Beta
- Microsoft announces new titles for Xbox Game Pass
- Starfield arrives in September
Tips and picks
- Tip of the week: Don’t be a statistic
- App pick of the week: Start11
- RunAs this Week: FIDO2 and Passwordless with Kyle Kotowick
- Brown liquor pick of the week: Craigellachie Bas Armagnac Cask Finish 13
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly
Get episodes ad-free with Club TWiT at https://twit.tv/clubtwit
Check out Paul's blog at thurrott.com
The Windows Weekly theme music is courtesy of Carl Franklin.
- Channeling the Windows Insider Program (Premium)
- Announcing Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25314
- Announcing Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 23403
- Microsoft Starts Testing Enhanced Volume Mixer in Quick Settings
- Video super resolution in Microsoft Edge
- Dell Delivers a Solid Year and a Down Quarter
- Dumb as a Rock (Premium)
- Microsoft Will Share its Vision of the Future of Work With AI on March 16
- From AI in Teams Premium to updates for Viva—here’s what’s new in Microsoft 365
- Microsoft Brings More AI to Developers at Azure Open Source Day 2023
- Brave Search Adds AI-Powered Summarizer
- DuckDuckGo is Trialing New Instant Answer Feature in Search Results
- Outlook for Mac is Now Free to Use on macOS
- Report: EU is “Likely” to Approve Microsoft’s Concessions on Activision Blizzard Deal
- Halo Infinite Season 3: Echoes Within Launches Today
- Gamers Have Created Over One Million Maps with Halo Infinite: Forge
- Valheim is Coming to Xbox Game Pass in March
- Bethesda’s Starfield Will Be Released on September 6
- Don’t Be a Statistic (Premium)
- Start11 Adds Support for Moment 2
- FIDO2 and Passwordless with Kyle Kotowick
- Craigellachie Bas Armagnac Cask Finish 13