Hey Microsoft: Buy Tik Tok!, RIP Cortana on Mobile, Xbox Game Pass
- Microsoft admits it's interested in buying (part of) TikTok for its community of users.
- It should absolutely not do so. Because monitoring hate speech on a social network is a no-win situation. And because it would be colluding with the US government to steal part of an international company.
- And now there's a class-action lawsuit
- Microsoft is formally ending Cortana support on Android, iOS, Harman Kardon Invoke, and Surface Headphones.
- That's all folks! Except... not really. They need to rename this thing "Microsoft Search Assistant" and move forward
- Microsoft 365
- Windows 10 version 2004 usage remains very low … but…
- Windows 10 version 2004 rollout expands to more devices as blockers are fixed
- Related: New Dev channel build today, minor changes
- Teams is gaining some new features … and holding off on some others
- Microsoft and Samsung still sitting in a tree (for now)
- Xbox Newsapalooza
- Project xCloud will be called "cloud gaming" when it comes to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate on September 15
- Microsoft's partners are making lots of mobile controller peripherals for cloud gaming
- Xbox Game Pass will be called Game Pass. Oh wait, it will be called Xbox Game Pass.
- Here are the first Xbox Game Pass titles for August
- Microsoft speeds up the Xbox Game Store simply by switching to React Native
- At a time when Microsoft is walking away from Xbox Live Gold, Sony is touting its similar service
Tips and Picks
- Tip of the week: Reduce your sync/storage requirements with OneDrive. You too can live the thin client dream, at least for storage
- App pick of the week: Flutter 1.20. Flutter has emerged as one of the best ways to make cross-platform apps. And it works even better with Visual Studio Code now.
- Also: Stardock Curtains is now on Steam
- Enterprise pick of the week: "It Wasn't Me." A new feature called Azure AD My Sign-Ins is generally available as of this week. This lets enterprise users review their sign in history to check for any unusual activity. The My Sign-Ins page lets users see if anyone is trying to guess their password; if anyone signed in to their account from a strange location; what apps the attacker accessed.
- Codename pick of the week: Turbine. Our friend Tero Alhonen has been all over tracking new Windows SKUs via the Windows SDK. He found a reference to a Turbine Server e a while ago. Today, the name changed to the much less fun "Windows Datacenter Server Azure Edition." Could this be the "new" OS inside Azure Stack HCI 2.0? Maaaaybe?
- Beer pick of the week: Evil Twin's New York: We've Done the Impossible.
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly
Check out Paul's blog at thurrott.com
Check out Mary Jo's blog at AllAboutMicrosoft.com
The Windows Weekly theme music is courtesy of Carl Franklin.
- Microsoft says it will continue discussions to buy TikTok's operations in the U.S.
- Would a Microsoft TikTok acquisition be anything less than completely crazy?
- Damned if You Do (Premium)
- Class-Action Lawsuit Adds to TikTok Drama
- Microsoft is continuing to focus its Cortana digital assistant on productivity scenarios
- Microsoft is Killing Cortana on Mobile, Invoke, and Surface Headphones
- Windows 10 Version 2004 Limps Forward
- Microsoft Expands Windows 10 Version 2004 Rollout
- Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20185
- Microsoft adds new Teams calling features and holds off on others
- Samsung to add more integration with Microsoft's Office apps, Windows 10 on Galaxy Note 20 devices
- Cloud Gaming is Coming to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate on September 15
- Microsoft Shows Off Xbox Mobile Gaming Accessories
- Microsoft’s Updating Xbox Game Pass Branding – Updated
- The Updated Xbox Store is Faster, More Family Friendly
- PlayStation Plus Up 3.4 Million Users, to 44.9 Million
- Live the Thin Client Dream with OneDrive (Premium)
- Google Releases Flutter 1.20
- End users can now report “This wasn’t me” for unusual sign-in activity
- So long Windows Turbine Server, welcome Windows Datacenter Server Azure Edition
- Beer of the week