Microsoft announces Project xCloud public beta
- It's finally happening! But it's Android-only at first and will roll out over time.
- Goofy ex-Microsoftie turned YouTuber explains why Windows 10 is so unreliable - And he's obviously right, once you get past the presentation.
- Microsoft says that Windows 10 is now on more than 900 million devices
- Note that they don't say "active devices" anymore. Curious.
- Also: Remember Terry's "one billion" pledge? That was supposed to happen by mid-2018. So they'll hit it 2-3 years later than expected than the original "2-3 year" promise.
- Two new 20H1 builds:
- This week: New 20H1 build brings a few new features, continues slow progress
- Last week: Another 20H1 build with Bluetooth improvements
- Microsoft ships .NET Core 3.0 with new versions of ASP.NET, EFC Core 3.0, C# 8.0, F# 4.7, and Visual Studio. The big news? Windows Desktop compatibility, for Windows Forms and WPF.
- Microsoft ships new font for developers, command line users
- Microsoft finally begins rolling out OneDrive extended storage plans for consumers
- Gotcha: You need to subscribe to an Office 365 consumer edition first
- Microsoft pledges "data dignity" - I wish they'd pledge some dignity for Windows!
- A life line for Cortana? Amazon announces Voice Interoperability Initiative
- Are we finally getting close(r) to Microsoft's Microsoft 365 Consumer subscription? Maaaybe
- Azure Sentinel, Microsoft's SIEM offering, hits GA. (And a bunch of folks seem excited/interested)
- Surface Laptop 2 inventory runs dry ahead of new product launches
- Surface Studio updated with Surface Pen latency fixes
- Microsoft revs Surface Dock Updater tool and it's not clear how or if this thing works at all
- In another blow to transparency, Microsoft changes how it reports Xbox results
- Here are the games coming soon to Xbox Game Pass
- Minecraft is getting a character editor (now in Beta versions)
Tips and picks
- Tip of the week: Learn to program
- Learn Python, for beginners
- Also, Google released two free new developer courses for Kotlin Android development
- App pick of the week: Microsoft Office 365
- Enterprise pick of the week: Where is Win Server 1909/19H2?
- Enterprise pick No. 2 of the week: Dynamics 365 Wave 2
- Beer pick of the week: Hermit Thrush Gin Barrel Saison
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly
Check out Paul's blog at thurrott.com
Check out Mary Jo's blog at AllAboutMicrosoft.com
The Windows Weekly theme music is courtesy of Carl Franklin.
- Microsoft Details How to Join xCloud Preview Program
- This is Why Windows 10 is So Unreliable (Premium)
- Microsoft: Windows 10 now on more than 900 million devices
- About That One Billion Thing
- Windows 10 Build 18990 Now Available in the Fast Ring
- Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18985 Heads to the Fast Ring
- Microsoft Releases .NET Core 3.0
- Microsoft Launches New Open-Source Font for Programmers
- Microsoft is rolling out the promised ability for Office 365 Home and Personal users to buy extra OneDrive cloud storage
- Microsoft's new 'Data Dignity' team could help users control their personal data
- Amazon Announces Voice Interoperability Initiative
- Is Microsoft getting closer to launching its expected Microsoft 365 Consumer subscription?
- Azure Sentinel—the cloud-native SIEM that empowers defenders is now generally available
- Ahead of Microsoft’s Hardware Event, Surface Laptop 2 Inventory Runs Dry
- Surface Studio Line Gets Improved Pen Latency With New Firmware Updates
- Microsoft Issues New Surface Dock Firmware Update Tool
- Microsoft’s Changing How it Reports Xbox Sales
- Here are the New Games Coming to Xbox Game Pass for PC
- Minecraft is Getting a Character Creator
- Microsoft Launches New .NET Core Video Series
- Microsoft Launches New Python Video Series
- Google Announces Free Android/Kotlin Developer Courses
- Microsoft to add more AI-infused apps and features to Dynamics 365
- Gin barrel Saison