- Microsoft is ready to start nagging users about Windows 7's end of support deadline. So here come the pop-ups. Luckily, you can turn them off completely.
- Plus: Microsoft brings DirectX 12 to Windows 7 … for some reason.
- Windows 10 19H1 users start testing Android app-mirroring.
- Breaking: Windows 10 19H1 Home edition may allow you to defer updates by 35 days! (This is in A/B testing it seems)
- Windows 10 now on more than 800 million active devices. Right on schedule!
- Microsoft makes good on its year-old promise to give consumer app devs a 95% cut of revenues.
- Microsoft says it is now able to remove faulty Windows 10 updates without user intervention – but are they? A mysterious support article mentions this with no details
Xbox + Gaming
- Microsoft demos xCloud game streaming service.
- There's a cool new controller, but it's not the Elite rev we all want
- Minecraft is FINALLY coming to Xbox Game Pass in April
- Master Chief Collection is FINALLY coming to Windows
- Plus: Microsoft announces 13 new ID@Xbox titles
- Plus: Xbox and PS gamers can now play Fornite together
- Plus: Google is about to announce some big gaming news. But first, their controller.
- Microsoft cuts 200 jobs in commercial sales
- Microsoft sues Foxconn parent Hon Hai over 2013 patent-licensing deal
Tips and picks
- Tip of the week: Crackdown 2 is now free on Xbox One
- Plus: Spotify Premium users can get free (ad-supported) Hulu
- App pick of the week: Google Chrome 73
- Plus: CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 2019 is here, and you can get it on the Mac too!
- Plus: our favourite podcast app.
- Enterprise pick of the week: No more Semi-Annual Channel releases for System Center
- Developer pick of the week: DTrace is coming to Windows 10 19H1
- Beer pick of the week: Two Roads Brewing Co. Irish Exit
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly
Check out Paul's blog at thurrott.com
Check out Mary Jo's blog at AllAboutMicrosoft.com
The Windows Weekly theme music is courtesy of Carl Franklin.
- Microsoft to start nagging users in April about the January 2020 Windows 7 end-of-support deadline
- Microsoft Brings DirectX 12 to Windows 7 … For Some Reason
- Microsoft starts testing Android app-mirroring on Windows 10
- Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18353 Heads Out to the Fast Ring
- Windows 10 Home users will be able to pause updates up to 35 days in version 1903
- Windows 10 is Now in Use on Over 800 Million Devices
- Microsoft is now giving consumer app developers up to 95 percent of their Store app sales
- Spotify’s Complaint Against Apple in EU Could Drive Real Change (Premium)
- Windows 10 will automatically remove updates, drivers that break booting
- A Few Thoughts About xCloud and the Future of Xbox (Premium)
- Microsoft’s Translucent Xbox Controller Is Now Available in White
- Minecraft Is Coming to Xbox Game Pass
- Microsoft Makes it Official, Master Chief Collection is Coming to the PC
- Microsoft Announces 13 New ID@Xbox Titles Ahead of GDC 2019
- Fortnite’s Latest Update Forces Xbox One and PS4 Users to Play Together
- Buy an Xbox One, Get a Free Game
- Patent Reveals Google’s Upcoming Gaming Controller
- Microsoft sues Foxconn's parent company Hon Hai over patent payments
- Surface for Business Expands With New Device Configurations
- Crackdown 2 is Now Free on Xbox One
- Spotify Premium Subscribers Can Now Get Hulu for Free
- Google Brings Dark Mode, PWA Support to Chrome on Mac
- Google Quietly Adds DuckDuckGo to Chrome 73
- CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 2019 Arrives with a Version for Mac Too
- I Need a Better Podcast App (Premium)
- Microsoft is dropping 'Semi Annual Channel' feature releases for System Center
- Popular open source Unix tool is now a part of Windows, too.
- Irish Exit