- Microsoft's 'Fall Event' on October 2: What to expect. This event is all about Microsoft's 'Modern Life Services' stuff, plus a Surface headset also is rumored, and there will be some refreshed Surfaces.
- Microsoft revamps its Windows as a Service strategy. Again. The good news for IT pros: You potentially can apply Windows 10 feature updates every other year. The bad news: The twice-yearly feature update pace will continue. And Home users remain testing guinea pigs.
- Meanwhile, in Windows 7 land... Microsoft is going to provide (again) a way to keep getting Windows 7 security updates. For a big fee.
- New Redstone 5 build actually has a new feature, sort of - actually, I'm confused about this feature.
- SMS/MMS integration comes to Your Phone. Related: Skype is getting SMS Connect too.
- Chromebooks will soon connect natively to Windows PCs on a home network
- Alexa support is coming to the Xbox One
Tips and picks
- Tip of the week: Xbox One S with two controllers bundle
- App pick of the week: Microsoft To-Do
- Enterprise pick of the week: Azure DevOps
- Codename pick of the week: Kusto
- Beer pick of the week: Boulevard Brewing Tank 7
- Windows Weekly will be live at Ignite on Tuesday, Sept. 25 from 2-4 pm ET. We'll have room for an audience – anyone at the show can come and join in. After that, 4:30 to 6:30 pm, WW meetup. We may switch our venue, so watch for tweets.
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly
Check out Paul's blog at thurrott.com
Check out Mary Jo's blog at AllAboutMicrosoft.com
The Windows Weekly theme music is courtesy of Carl Franklin.
- Microsoft's October 2 Fall Event: What to expect
- Microsoft permanently extends support for Windows 10 Enterprise and Education feature updates to 30 months
- Windows lifecycle fact sheet
- Microsoft to offer paid Windows 7 Extended Security Updates
- Microsoft relents on Office support cutoff dates
- Microsoft Brings Windows Insider Preview Build 17758 to the Fast Ring
- Microsoft Flights New Windows 10 19H1 Build
- Hands-On with Your Phone for Windows 10, Take 2
- SMS Connect Comes to Skype Insider Preview
- Chromebooks Will Soon Have Native Network Connectivity with Windows PCs
- You Will Soon Be Able to Control Your Xbox With Alexa and Cortana
- You Can Now Get an Xbox One S With Two Controllers
- Microsoft To-Do Picks Up Faster Sync on Mobile
- Microsoft To-Do Gets a Redesigned Web App
- Microsoft rebrands, repositions Visual Studio Team Services as Azure DevOps
- GitHub Pull Requests in Visual Studio Code
- Kusto: A new query language for OMS Log Analytics
- Boulevard Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale