The day after Apple's not-so-compelling iPhone 8 and X announcements, let's talk mobile for the Windows gal/guy. Paul Thurrott is going Android (!) after years on iPhone. Mary Jo Foley is all-in on Android. Is there any hope for a future Windows Mobile platform? Yes (Paul: no), but it might not be for you. Microsoft's position continues to be: All we care (hope) is you'll use Windows on PCs with iOS/Android phones (the Build 2017 strategy.) Andromeda revisited: This is not just hardware, but software too.
Windows 10: Another day, another new Insider build (and this is still NOT RTM, MS says!) Also, another Skip Ahead build. More tweaks to the privacy settings coming with Windows 10 FCU. Are these as ineffectual as what they did in the Spring? What drove them to do more? MS is getting ready to start servicing Windows 10 on ARM. Microsoft scrambles to meet its Story Remix promises.
Some Skype for Business features to migrate to Teams. MS accidentally leaks its own Skype for Business plans ahead of Ignite. Related (sort of): New Skype family features.
Microsoft is doing a Centennial version of OneNote, after all. New add-in apps come to Outlook for Android. New search experience is testing on iOS too.
• Tip of the week: Don't use Microsoft Movies & TV. Seriously
• App pick of the week: OneNote 2016 (Windows Store)
• Bonus app picks: SwiftKey for Android and Outlook for Android
• Bonus mention: Grammarly is on Microsoft Edge now too
• Enterprise pick of the week: eSign, Microsoft Teams and Office 365 (oh my)
• Enterprise tip of the week: Need help figuring out your Ignite session list? MS Australia OEM blog to the rescue.
• Beer pick of the week: Founders Porter
Don't forget: We'll be doing Win weekly live at Microsoft Ignite, and we'll have a meetup the night before.
Meetup is at World of Beer (Dr. Phillips Blvd.) starting 6pm on Tuesday Sept. 26. No RSVP needed.
WW is on the 27th (Wed) at the usual time. Live audience welcome!
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly
Check out Paul's blog at thurrott.com
Check out Mary Jo's blog at AllAboutMicrosoft.com
Thanks to CacheFly for the bandwidth for this show.
The Windows Weekly theme music is courtesy of Carl Franklin.
- Analysis: Apple’s September 2017 Announcements
- I’m Switching to Android
- Microsoft's new plan for mobile relevance: Use Windows to make other devices better
- Microsoft Releases Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16288
- Insiders on Skip Ahead Get a New Build This Week Too
- Microsoft Makes Last Minutes Privacy Tweaks to the Fall Creators Update
- Windows 10 on ARM bits show up on Microsoft servers
- Microsoft Scrambles to Deliver on Its Story Remix Promises
- Microsoft may be repositioning some (or all) of Skype for Business as Teams
- Microsoft account makes it easier for families to connect on Skype
- Microsoft Teams is coming soon to the Windows Store thanks to Microsoft Edge
- Tip: You Can Install OneNote 2016 from Windows Store Too
- You Can No Longer Sync your Microsoft Movies & TV Account with Disney
- SwiftKey for Android Now Support Over 200 Languages
- Outlook for Android Finally Gets Add-In Apps
- Grammarly Comes to Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft, Adobe advance partnership with new cross-cloud productivity integrations
- Beer pick of the week: Founders Porter