Well, look at that. Microsoft does have a Cortana strategy. The partnership will put Alexa on Cortana, Cortana on Alexa was initiated by Jeff Bezos over a year ago. What does this mean to Cortana, really, given its also-ran status? Is Cortana just another Alexa skill? And is Cortana on Windows 10 just another way to access Alexa? Related thought: We often describe Cortana's failure as a byproduct of Microsoft's mobile failures, but Amazon failed in mobile too. And remember: Amazon and Microsoft are the weakest among the 4 voice assistant vendors, in terms of total reach. Controversy of the week: NYPD dumps "useless" Windows phones. First, NY Post writes a scathing and accurate article about NYPD's terrible Windows phone adoption decision. Next, the person responsible for this decision writes a rebuttal. But here's the thing. The real reason they adopted WP was that the phones were free, as were the replacement phones they would get after two years. Who subsidized that little deal? Build(s) of the week: Windows 10. Two Inside Preview builds since the last show, 16275 and 16278 (or, three in one week). No more new features. Focus on ship-quality quality, stability. Windows Mixed Reality comes into focus for the holidays. Here's a nice workaround for getting Photoshop Elements 15 to work on Windows 10 S. Creators Update hits two-thirds of all Windows 10 PCs, but it's still lagging behind the Anniversary Update. Awesomeness of the week: Xbox One X. Microsoft's 4K console is off to a fast start. Microsoft confirms that the Xbox One X is the "fastest ever" Xbox for preorders.
- Tip of the week: Save Big on Groove Music Pass
- App pick of the week: ReCore Definitive Edition for Windows 10/Xbox One
- Enterprise pick of the week: Microsoft Unified Support
- Codename pick of the week: How to think about feature updates and Windows Server
- Beer pick of the week: x
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly
Check out Paul's blog at thurrott.com
Check out Mary Jo's blog at AllAboutMicrosoft.com
Thanks to CacheFly for the bandwidth for this show.
The Windows Weekly theme music is courtesy of Carl Franklin.
- Microsoft and Amazon agree to enable Cortana, Alexa communication
- Microsoft and Amazon are Partnering on Cortana and Alexa Integration
- ★ Amazon and Microsoft Announce Cortana-Alexa Integration (Aug 30, 2017)
- NYPD Forced to Replace 36,000 Windows Phones After Microsoft Abandons Support
- Deputy Commissioner of Information & Technology Jessica Tisch’s Response to NY Post Article
- Does Microsoft's brass still believe it has a chance in the phone market?
- Microsoft Issues Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16275
- Microsoft Races Forward to Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16278
- Microsoft turns Windows 10 Fall Creators Update focus to 'stabilization' as of Build 16273
- Microsoft Provides a Sneak Peek at Its Mixed Reality Holiday Plans
- Adobe Issues a Workaround for Photoshop Elements 15 on Windows 10 S
- Windows 10 Device Usage: Creators Update Deployment Still Lags
- Xbox One X Gets Off to a Strong Start
- Xbox One X Pre-Order is “Fastest Ever,” Microsoft Confirms
- Tip: Save Big on Groove Music Pass
- Some Thoughts About the Call of Duty: WWII Private Beta
- ReCore Definitive Edition Hits Windows 10 and Xbox One
- Parallels Desktop Desktop 13 for Mac is Here
- Microsoft starts rolling out biggest changes in two decades to its Premier customer support program
- Sneak Peek #1: Windows Server, version 1709
- Sumo In A Sidecar | Evil Twin Brewing