Jan 10th 2021
This Week in Tech 805
Come Together Like Voltron
Social media Trump ban, Section 230 in Biden era, nationalizing Alibaba
- Social networks begin to ban President Trump.
- Should a few giant enterprises decide which speech is heard?
- China is nationalizing Jack Ma's Alibaba.
- Signal sees an uptick in light of the WhatsApp controversy.
- Stripe stops payment processing for the Trump campaign.
- Happy birthday to Wikipedia.
- Happy 13th anniversary of the iPhone unveiling.
- Hyundai announces it's in talks with Apple.
- Facebook's smart glasses are coming "sooner than later."
- Ajit Pai announced he would not move forward with Section 230.
- Will Section 230 see less of a threat in the Biden era?
- SolarWinds hired Chris Krebs, Trump's former cybersecurity chief.
- The Cybersecurity and Emerging Technologies bureau is set.
- Bitcoin and Tesla's performance is a win for day-traders.
- Father of Fiber Optics Narinder S. Kapany dies at 94.
- Roku acquires Quibi assets for less than $100M.
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/this-week-in-tech
- Alternative social networks are a growing force as Facebook and Twitter suspend Trump
- Twitter's Ban on Trump Shows Where Power Now Lies - The New York Times
- Not Easy, Not Unreasonable, Not Censorship: The Decision To Ban Trump From Twitter
- Stripe Stops Processing Payments for Trump Campaign Website
- Hyundai Motor says it is in early talks with Apple
- Walt Mossberg on Twitter: "Today is the 13th anniversary of the unveiling of the @Apple iPhone
- Signal sees surge in new signups after boost from Elon Musk and WhatsApp controversy
- Facebook's Andrew Bosworth says its smart glasses, built in partnership with Ray-Ban, will arrive “sooner than later"
- Quibi’s $1.75B experiment ends with Roku acquisition for “less than $100M” | Ars Technica
- Day-Trader Heaven Arrives as Tesla, Bitcoin and Stock Options Surge
- SolarWinds hires former Trump cyber security chief Chris Krebs | Financial Times
- State Department sets up new bureau for cybersecurity and emerging technologies | TheHill
- How to Get Rich Sabotaging Nuclear Weapons Facilities - BIG by Matt Stoller
- China is nationalizing Alibaba.
- Narinder S. Kapany, ‘Father of Fiber Optics,’ Dies at 94
- Happy Birthday, Wikipedia
- Hyundai takes control of Boston Dynamics in $1.1B deal
- In His Last Two Weeks, Ajit Pai Finally Finds A Backbone And Refuses To Move Forward With Trump's Ridiculous 230 Attack