Aug 30th 2020
This Week in Tech 786
The Chickenization of America
Remembering Chadwick Boseman, TikTok Drama, Neuralink's Pig Trepanation
- Remembering Chadwick Boseman
- Elon Musk demonstrates Neurallink: trepanning a Pig
- What is Palantir doing?
- Apple vs Epic: how anti-competitive is Apple, and what should the government do about this?
- TikTok This Week: Walmart Enters the Fray; why TikTok is Dangerous
- Amazon announces Halo, a subscription fitness wearable and platform that can tell when you are angry
- Cory Doctorow on Shoshanna Zuboff: how to destroy Surveillance Capitalism and the Chickenization of America
- The effects of monopolism: why your glasses cost $700 and wages have dropped over the past 50 years.
- How legislation defends monopolies, and how lobbyists have destroyed democracy
- How to fix Facebook: more choices in Social Media
- Cyberwar with China: the TikTok era
- How conspiracy theories work
- The difficulties of teaching and learning via Zoom
- Chatterbox: one of the best ways to learn in the COVID Age
- Life in the COVID age: it could be a lot worse
- OhDoctah on Black Lives Matter, and his personal experiences with racist Police
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/this-week-in-tech
- Zuck says Facebook made an 'operational mistake' in not taking down US militia page mid-protests.
- A Kenosha Militia Facebook Event Asking Attendees To Bring Weapons Was Reported 455 Times. Moderators Said It Didn’t Violate Any
- Report: Microsoft Talks with TikTok Turned Into “Soap Opera”
- Sources: TikTok likely to announce a sale of US, Canada, Australia, and NZ operations in a deal worth $20B to $30B
- Microsoft working with Walmart on TikTok deal
- China Tightens Tech Export Rules Amid TikTok Talks - WSJ
- Surprise: Report Claims Facebook Has Been Driving White House TikTok Animosity
- A new $20 billion bid for TikTok could see it purchased by rival Triller (and a giant investment firm)
- Apple officially kicks Fortnite off the iPhone, iPad, banning Epic's developer account - CNET
- Epic judge will protect Unreal Engine — but not Fortnite - The Verge
- Epic burn
- Zuckerberg Denounces Apple's Monopolistic “Stranglehold” on Your iPhone
- Tweet honoring actor Chadwick Boseman becomes most-liked Twitter post ever - CNET
- Cory Doctorow highlights the conceptual limitations of Shoshana Zuboff's "surveillance capitalism"
- How to Destroy Surveillance Capitalism, a New Book by Cory Doctorow | OneZero