Jul 12th 2020
This Week in Tech 779
No Future for Green Pants
Hosted by Leo Laporte
TikTok's Bad Week, RIP Quibi, mmhmm
Records live every Sunday at 5:15pm Eastern / 2:15pm Pacific / 21:15 UTC.
Guests: Louise Matsakis, Stacey Higginbotham, Phil Libin
TikTok's Bad Week, RIP Quibi, mmhmm
- mmhmm is a fun new way to use meeting software
- US might ban TikTok, India already has. What is the future for the embattled platform? Is TikTok safe to use?
- Apple Glass on the way: Foxconn is making thousands of semi-transparent lenses for Apple glasses
- Amazon wants to rule the world. Is that really all that bad?
- Is there any hope for Quibi? (Nope)
- Google's "Works With Google" virtual event demonstrated Android 11's new IoT features and their Smart Home devices.
- Is Microsoft looking to buy Magic Leap? MS exec becomes Magic Leap CEO - is she a Trojan Horse?
- Ninja joins YouTube after Mixer dies
- Twitter partner Dataminr accused of giving Black Lives Matter protester surveillance to police
- TikTok, Linked In, and others accused of copying users' clipboards, blame a bug in a Google SDK
- Amazon briefly tells employees to take TikTok off their phones, backpedals furiously when their marketing department throws a fit
- How much of the TikTok hate is just anti-Chinese bias?
- US teens worried about losing TikTok
- How mmhmm works with Zoom, Teams, and Google Meet
- Microsoft Teams adds "Together Mode," which puts meeting attendants in seats in an auditorium
- AR still isn't ready for the outside world, but it works great for Snapchat and TikTok filters
- North Focals, Jins Meme ES, Amazon Lens, Snap Spectacles, Bose Frames - different smart glasses with different use cases
- When will AR get a killer App? User-focused design is the answer, but not a lot of AR companies are doing that.
- Foxconn invests $1B to open a factory in India
- Searching for the perfect car phone holder
- Are Millennials killing IoT?
- Walmart is launching an Amazon Prime competitor in July
- Jack Dorsey donates $3 Million to Basic Income
- Twitter might be starting a subscription service
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/this-week-in-tech
- Louise Matsakis at Wired
- Stacey on IoT
- Phil Libin's All Turtles
- Phil Libin's mmhmm App
- Mmhmm turns your boring Zoom call into a Weekend Update-style TV show
- Reddit, LinkedIn, TikTok will issue updates to stop apps from copying the clipboard in iOS 14
- LinkedIn Sued for Spying on Users With Apple Device Apps
- Wells Fargo wants employees to delete TikTok from company phones
- Amazon Says It Didn’t Mean to Ban Employees From Using TikTok
- US 'looking at' banning TikTok and Chinese social media apps: Pompeo
- ‘It Would Be Like Losing a Little Bit of Me’: TikTok Users Respond to Potential U.S. Ban
- Microsoft to add new shared background, customizable views, chat bubbles and more to Teams
- Microsoft executive leaves after six years to become CEO of Magic Leap
- Apple Moving Forward on Semitransparent Lenses for Upcoming AR Headset
- Jins Meme ES
- WeatherTech CupFone
- The new “Works with Google” program takes a page from Apple
- The Bezos Future - Current Affairs
- Walmart’s Amazon Prime competitor will launch in July
- Ninja starts streaming on YouTube after Microsoft shuts down Mixer
- Guess How Many People Actually Paid for Quibi
- Twitter boss donates $3m to basic universal income project
- Twitter hints at future subscription service in job listing
- Twitter Says Its Partner Dataminr Wasn't Surveilling Protests for Local Cops, Just 'News Alerting'
- Police Surveilled George Floyd Protests with Help from Twitter-Affiliated Startup Dataminr
- Habeas Data: Privacy vs. the Rise of Surveillance Tech