Apr 5th 2020
This Week in Tech 765
Holds Each Cheek Separately
Zoom Security Issues, iPhone SE
- Zoom goes from 10 million to 250 million daily users, struggles with zoombombing and security issues
- Where is the iPhone SE? The budget iPhone could be launched any day.
- Can Apple maintain its famed secrecy with employees working from home?
- Apple buys Dark Sky Weather App, shuts down Android App
- iOS 14 may add widgets, live wallpaper
- Who controls the weather? NOAA, Weather Channel, IBM, Apple?
- Nations are tracking their citizens' location to stop coronavirus - will they stop when the crisis is over? Who else is tracking us?
- Do you know how to program COBOL? Help New Jersey fight coronavirus!
- Amazon has hired 80,000 workers, puts safety measures in place, fires strike organizer
- Instacart strike gets workers free health and safety kits
- Amazon will offer a virtual film festival to show SXSW films, movie theaters are offering streams
- What we're watching in quarantine - Little Fires Everywhere, Devs, free HBO shows, Bhagavad Gita and filmmaking on YouTube
- Quibi is launching at the best time possible
- FCC opens up 6GHz band for Wi-Fi use
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/this-week-in-tech
- US federal law enforcement warns that invading Zoom meetings to broadcast "disruptive content" will result in fines
- Zoom adds new security and privacy measures to prevent Zoombombing
- Zoom apologizes for security failures, says it has 200M+ DAUs vs. 10M in Dec.
- Automated tool can find 100 Zoom meeting IDs per hour
- Bruce Schneier on Zoom
- Security Researchers: Zoom’s Encryption Is ‘Not Suited for Secrets’; Key Servers and 700 Employees Are in China
- Elon Musk’s SpaceX bans employees from using Zoom over ‘significant privacy and security concerns’
- Zoom is being banned over security concerns by some US school districts, including NYC
- Zoom is being sued in California and probed by New York's top prosecutor
- Exclusive: iPhone 9 launch imminent, 2020 'iPhone SE' in red, white, and black with up to 256GB - 9to5Mac
- iPhone 9 case inventory arriving at Best Buy, other retailers with April 5 merchandising date
- Apple Tests Its Secrecy Somewhere New: Employee Homes - Bloomberg
- Apple Buys Dark Sky App
- Apple may bring 'real' home screen widgets to iOS 14
- Amazon Fires Worker Who Led Strike over Virus
- Amazon Has Hired 80,000 Workers Out of 100,000 Plan
- Amazon begins running temperature checks and will provide surgical masks at warehouses
- Amazon will feature SXSW films in a virtual film festival on Prime Video
- Amazon white-collar employees are fuming over management targeting a fired warehouse worker
- Responsible Coronavirus Surveillance Is Possible, Privacy Experts Say
- COBOL-coding volunteers sought as creaking mainframes slow New Jersey's coronavirus response
- Quibi is coming, with the worst — or maybe best — timing
- The FCC sets a vote on opening the 6GHz band for unlicensed Wi-Fi use - CNET
- Jack Schofield, Guardian's Ask Jack tech columnist, dies at 72 | Media | The Guardian
- Anick Jesdanun, longtime AP technology writer, dies at 51
- Listen to the Techmeme Ride Home Podcast and the Coronavirus Morning Report!