Jan 6th 2019
This Week in Tech 700
A Carwash for Your Face
- Apple tanks on Tim Cook's earnings warning - is the golden age of iPhone over?
- Are Facebook and Google too big to Fail? No. Here's why.
- China and the US duel over security, AI, and quantum computing.
- Qualcomm vs Apple legal battles heat up.
- Fortnite and Pokemon Go rake in the dough in 2018.
- Amazon wins big over the holiday season.
- Microsoft wants to give you control over your digital data.
- For the 1st time in 20 years, an entire year's worth of books, movies, and art enters the public domain.
- The 10-second toothbrush, the Kurigization of Things (KoT) and more reasons why you shouldn't go to CES 2019.
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/this-week-in-tech
- Letter from Tim Cook to Apple investors - Apple
- Questions on Apple (AAPL) Earnings Strategies After Outlook Cut - Bloomberg
- Apple’s iPhone Warning Comes Years Too Late - Bloomberg
- App Store caps record-breaking 2018 with blockbuster holiday week - Apple
- Qualcomm Puts Aside $1.5B in Funds Required to Enforce iPhone Sales Ban in Germany - MacRumors
- Amazon Alexa Shopping Tripled as Bose, Nerf Topped Holiday Sales | Fortune
- Sources: Amazon is planning to build and expand Whole Foods stores across the US to put more customers within range
- Exclusive: Amazon says 100 million Alexa devices have been sold — what’s next?
- You’d have to pay the average Facebook user over $1,000/year to stop using it
- Microsoft is privately testing 'Bali,' a way to give users control of data collected about them | ZDNet
- It’s Time to Dispel These Dangerous Password Security Myths
- Mickey Mouse will be public domain soon—here’s what that means | Ars Technica
- Curbs on A.I. Exports? Silicon Valley Fears Losing Its Edge - The New York Times
- Qualcomm kicks off crucial fight with U.S. antitrust regulator | Reuters
- The WELL: State of the World 2019
- Chinese phone maker Huawei punishes employees for iPhone tweet blunder | Reuters
- What to expect at CES 2019: foldable devices, phone displays with hole-punch cameras, 5G phones and laptops, and 8K TVs
- Fortnite developer Tim Sweeney made $7 billion this year — Quartz
- Ninja and Fortnite are making millions together - CNN
- Pokémon GO Caught Nearly $800 Million in Global Revenue Last Year, Growing 35% Over 2017
- Y-Brush at CES is a toothbrush that cleans your teeth in 10 seconds
- CES 2019: The Bizarre Toothbrush, Smart Yogurt Maker, and Wrist Wearables on My “Must-See” List