Aug 19th 2018
This Week in Tech 680
Hacky Hack Hack
- Leave Elon alone! Tesla tumbles after Musk laments his "most difficult and painful year."
- Google employees revolt over China rumors; town hall meeting shut down due to "kerfuffle" tweets.
- Apple thinks that its headquarter buildings are worth 1/6th of an iPhone XS+.
- Australian teen Hacky Hack Hacks Apple's main computer network.
- MoviePass is failing miserably, but the French version is great!
- Google clarifies how constantly it tracks your location.
- US government wants to wiretap Facebook Messenger
- Facebook is not responsible for news media's continued existence.
- Ajit Pai finally admits to congress that the FCC wasn't hacked.
- 10 nanometer transistors? Try 1/10th nanometer. German researchers develop a 1 atom transistor switch.
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/this-week-in-tech
- Elon Musk Details ‘Excruciating’ Personal Toll of Tesla Turmoil - The New York Times
- After employee revolt, Google says it is “not close” to launching search in China
- kate conger on Twitter: "Sergey: "Dragonfly came to my attention, honestly, because of all this kerfuffle.""
- The tweets that stopped Google in its tracks | Revue
- U.N. says it has credible reports that China holds million Uighurs in secret camps
- What Will Happen When China Dominates the Web
- Apple is reportedly arguing that buildings at its headquarters are worth just $200 to reduce its tax bill
- 2018 OLED iPhones to support Apple Pencil, with 512GB top tier – Trendforce
- Apple reassures customers after Australian media reports hack by teen
- This week in MoviePass: un-cancellations, lawsuits, record losses, and more usage changes
- AP Exclusive: Google tracks your movements, like it or not
- APNewsBreak: Google clarifies location-tracking policy
- Exclusive: U.S. government seeks Facebook help to wiretap Messenger - sources | Reuters
- SEO Is Back. Thank God.
- Facebook’s message to media: “We are not interested in talking to you about your traffic…"
- WhatsApp Co-Founder’s ‘Rest and Vest’ Reward From Facebook: $450 Million - WSJ
- FCC accused of ‘dereliction of duty’ in failing to dispel cyberattack ‘myth’
- Ajit Pai loses in court—FCC can’t kill broadband subsidy in Tribal areas | Ars Technica
- World's smallest transistor switches current with a single atom in solid state
- A digital birth control app blamed for dozens of pregnancies just got FDA approval – VICE News
- ISPs say they can’t expand broadband unless gov’t gives them more money | Ars Technica
- Federal courts now accepting cryptocurrency for bail - Palo Alto Daily Post
- Steam.tv is live -- and it appears to be Valve's Twitch competitor (update) - CNET