Sep 10th 2017
This Week in Tech 631
This One's for Jerry
Apple will release the new iPhones on Tuesday. Thanks to leaks, we already know most of the details - does this spoil Apple's big day? Red Sox busted for using Apple Watch to steal signals from the Yankees. Moto X4 will be an Android One phone. Google may buy HTC. Equifax leaks 143 million records, wait more than a month to tell anyone. Facebook finally admits that Russians bought $100,000 worth of election ads. Solaris employees laid off from Oracle. Farewell, Jerry Pournelle.
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/this-week-in-tech
Bandwidth for This Week in Tech is provided by CacheFly.
- Apple announces event on September 12 at 10am PT in Steve Jobs Theater at its new Apple Park campus, where new iPhones are expec
- Apple's Other Big Reveal on Sept. 12
- iOS 11 GM leak confirms D22 ‘iPhone 8’ features: Portrait Lighting, True Tone Display, revised AirPods, much more
- “More surprises were spoiled by this leak than any leak in Apple history.”
- Apple Aims to Take Augmented Reality Mainstream
- Preview of six AR apps coming to iOS 11 using ARKit, from GIPHY, Walking Dead, Ikea, Food Network, and more, and thoughts on AR
- Sources: fingerprint scanner will be omitted from "iPhone 8" after production issues, which set back early production by a month
- Stephen Hall on Twitter: "Moto X4 on Android One will be the Pixel-with-a-headphone-jack option from Google this year."
- Evan Blass on Twitter - "Well isn't this interesting..." (New Android One by Motorola?)
- Boston Red Sox Used Apple Watches to Steal Signs Against Yankees
- Apple Watch makes the tabloids!
- Cancelled: Apple Music Festival, after a storied 10-year run
- Credit reporting firm Equifax says data breach could potentially affect 143 million US consumers
- Why the Equifax breach is very possibly the worst leak of personal info ever | Ars Technica
- Three Equifax Managers Sold Stock Before Cyber Hack Was Revealed
- Equifax data breach check on the company's site also tries to force users to agree to not sue
- Equifax Lobbied To Kill Rule Protecting Victims Of Data Breaches
- Why you should not use Equifax's site and should immediately turn on fraud alerts
- Google ‘in final stage of negotiations’ to buy HTC’s smartphone division, report claims
- Goodbye Solaris
- Amazon seeks proposals from cities for a second HQ in North America, a "full equal" to Seattle HQ, and says it'll invest $5B+ an
- Hardcoded passwords in some ATT-Arris modems open them to attack
- Fake Russian Facebook Accounts Bought $100,000 in Political Ads
- Hackers lie in wait after penetrating US and Europe power grid networks
- Judge dismisses Shiva “I Invented EMAIL” Ayyadurai’s libel lawsuit against Techdirt