Aug 27th 2017
This Week in Tech 629
When in Doubt, Hit the Raccoon
Self-driving car ethics, Apple event speculation, Google/Walmart vs Amazon/Whole Foods, donuts vs avocados, and more.
Will Meg Whitman Be Uber's next CEO? Germany decides when it is okay for self-driving cars to kill people, and which people they should kill. Android Oreo is official. Samsung releases the Galaxy Note 8. Apple might announce its new iPhones on September 12th. Google may announce the new Pixels on October 5th. Nobody really knows when the Essential will arrive. Google teams up with Walmart as Amazon's purchase of Whole Foods goes through and Kale goes on sale. Facebook and Focus feature stream studio movies; Netflix and dispensaries develop new strains of weed. Australian beaches are now safer thanks to shark-detecting drones.
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/this-week-in-tech
Bandwidth for This Week in Tech is provided by CacheFly.
- Swisher had the scoop. Immelt pulls out of uber ceo race https://t.co/IaIKbpS8XR"
- Former GE CEO Jeff Immelt says he is no longer vying to be Uber CEO
- If Whitman becomes Uber CEO, Kalanick is likely to be limited to a “founder” role
- Uber adds new features like trip type preferences, more driver destinations, and long trip notifications, says it will reach $50
- True price of an Uber ride in question as investors assess firm's value
- Kill animals and destroy property before hurting humans, Germany tells future self-driving cars • The Register
- Android O is now officially Android Oreo
- Both Battered And Beloved, Samsung’s Galaxy Note Line Is Back With The Note 8
- Samsung's Galaxy Note 8 comes with a 6.3-inch screen and dual camera
- Samsung Heir Lee Jae-yong Convicted of Bribery, Gets Five Years in Jail - WSJ
- Apple could announce the next iPhone on September 12
- Sources: Apple plans to introduce a 4K-capable Apple TV and updated TV app that can highlight live TV, alongside new iPhone and
- Report: Google's next Pixel phones to be unveiled October 5, will be powered by the unannounced Qualcomm Snapdragon 836 (Richard
- 75% of US teens use iPhones, making Apple's iMessage the secret winner in the messaging war
- Wal-Mart and Google Partner to Challenge Amazon - WSJ
- Amazon says its acquisition of Whole Foods will close 8/28, Prime members to get discounts (Lauren Thomas/CNBC)
- Facebook has hired former NYT public editor Liz Spayd as a consultant in a ‘transparency’ effort - Recode
- Facebook Live to broadcast three studio releases from Focus
- Maybe Don’t “Pivot To Video” Unless You Want To Pivot To Food Video
- Netflix is developing strands of weed based on 10 of its original series
- US judge rules DreamHost must hand over user data from anti-Trump website to DoJ, but imposes limits and will vet which informat
- State Supreme Court Says Digital Phones Can't Be Searched Without A Warrant
- Fraud Forces WannaCry Hero's Legal Fund To Refund All Donations
- DJI will ground Spark drones on September 1st unless owners install an update - The Verge
- Shark-detecting drones to patrol Australian beaches