Jul 16th 2006
This Week in Tech 62
- Leo loves his terabyte Infrant ReadyNAS - he'll never lose another podcast again!
- Television had the lowest ratings in recordedhistory this past week.
- The NetNielsens announced that 6.6% of the U.S. adult population has recently downloaded a podcast and that podcasts are more popular than blogs.
- The Sci-fi network has decided to put the pilot of "The Amazing Screw-on Head" online before actually airing.
- Myspace took down a song about Ted Stevens' "series of tubes" analogy, and then brought it back up.
- The publisher of The Anarchist's Cookbook died recently
- Here's where you can buy old analog phones.
- A few Vietnamese students used wigs to cheat on their college entrance exams.
- A hacker who only tried to hack a database was sent to jail till 2011.
- A Dell laptop exploded at a Japanese conference.
- The week Microsoft has stopped support for Windows 98/ME, they have releaseda new operating system for older system called Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs.
- A Dutch court is protecting file swappers' identities.
- The Intel Core 2 Duo benchmarks beat AMD across the board.
- Conde Nast, owners of Wired Magazine, have bought back Wired News for $25 million.
- July 16 is the 37th anniversary of the Apollo 11 launch.
- Space shuttle Discovery is returning back to earth on Monday, July 17.
- Gracenote has announced a deal to publish lyrics on the Internet.
- Musicbrainz creates applications that will go through your iTunes library and attempt to tag the files missing ID3 tags.
- Eyespot allows you to mix and mash-up videos online.
- Video Egg will allow you to trim and do some simple editing online.
- McAfee had a major flaw in its corporate program, and fixed it as a feature download.
- Trend Micro has an excellent online virus scanner.
- Check out the 9 weirdest/coolest links on the web explained by a human being on The 9 by Yahoo.
- The new TWiT website is here!
(Thanks to Shooby for the show notes, as usual!)
We actually did set up a server for The Ship. The server name is TWiT Ship. Password is twit. Enjoy!