Oct 30th 2016
This Week in Tech 586
The AIs are Talking
Apple announces the MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, Microsoft announces the Surface Studio and Windows 10 Creators Update, Twitter kills Vine and lays off almost 10% of its workforce, Google Home arriving next week, DirecTV Now gives 100 channels for $35, and Uber delivers 50,000 Budweisers with their Otto self-driving semi.
- Leo wants to know - have Apple and Microsoft swapped brains?
- Are we heading toward a world where you don't know which virtual assistant to ask what?
- What is scarier: a self-driving beer truck or artificial intelligence that can talk to each other using unbreakable encryption
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/this-week-in-tech
Bandwidth for This Week in Tech is provided by CacheFly.
- An Email History of the 2001 iPod Launch
- Apple unveils the new Touch Bar-powered MacBook Pro - CNET
- Here are all the biggest features coming in the Windows 10 Creators Update
- Ultra-thin, pixel-dense Surface Studio touchscreen PC will start at $2,999
- Apple says new MacBook Pro has only 16GB of RAM to save battery life
- If you thought new MacBook Pros were too expensive...
- MacBook Pro is a hybrid system
- MacBook Pro starts at $1,499, goes to $2,399 for 15-incher - CNET
- Apple stops selling legacy SuperDrive-equipped MacBook Pro and 11-inch MacBook Air
- Microsoft's Surface Books get massive battery, graphics boost - CNET
- Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, and Lenovo to make tethered VR headsets for Windows 10 PC
- Microsoft’s new Paint 3D app will let you 3D print your Minecraft creations
- Twitter is shutting down Vine
- Founder’s comment on Vine shutting down? “Don’t sell your company!”
- Inside the secret meeting that changed the fate of Vine forever
- Twitter cuts 9 percent of its workforce, Vine getting axed
- Twitter trolls caused Salesforce to walk away from deal - Business Insider
- Disney Dropped Twitter Pursuit Partly Over Image - Bloomberg
- It's Officially the Weird Twitter Election
- Samsung acquires Viv, a next-gen AI assistant built by the creators of Apple’s Siri
- Samsung Lost a Ton of Money Due to Exploding Phones
- Google AI invents its own cryptographic algorithm; no one knows how it works
- Facebook Lets Advertisers Exclude Users by Race (ProPublica)
- AT&T Is Spying on Americans for Profit - The Daily Beast
- At least 17 firms have marketed surveillance products to law enforcement agencies
- Internet providers now need permission to share or sell your web browsing data
- Has DirecTV Now Become a Loss Leader to Help Sell the AT&T-Time Warner Merger?
- Uber’s Self-Driving Truck Makes Its First Delivery: 50,000 Beers
- The Wix Mobile App, a WordPress Joint | Matt Mullenweg