May 25th 2014
This Week in Tech 459
Plaudits and Brickbats
Microsoft announces the Surface Pro 3, rumored Apple-Beats deal delayed, Amazon fights big publishers but hurts authors, Metafilter gets crushed by Google, Google+ generates interactive photo albums with Stories, eBay advises users to change passwords after data breach, what to expect at Apple's WWDC 2014, a big win for patent trolls in Congress, and more.
Download or subscribe to this show at twit.tv/twit.
For additional show notes, visit the wiki page for this episode.
Bandwidth for This Week in Tech is provided by CacheFly.
- Microsoft announces its biggest tablet yet, the 12-inch Surface Pro 3
- IT’S TIME TO KILL SURFACE
- Surface Pro 3 review: impressive hardware, ideal form factor for Windows 8.1, so-so battery
- Penny Arcade artist: Surface Pro 3 is “close to being perfect” but has performance issues in some programs
- Source: 70% chance Apple's Beats deal is happening, it's a Dr. Dre, Jimmy Iovine acquihire
- Five Things Holding Up the Apple-Beats Deal
- Giants behaving badly: Google, Facebook and Amazon show us the downside of monopolies and black-box algorithms
- Amazon's Tactics Confirm Its Critics' Worst Suspicions
- Amazon Keeps Fighting Big Publishers But Authors Pay The Price
- If a high-quality site like Metafilter can be crushed by Google, what hope do other sites have?
- Google+ rolls out Stories feature that generates interactive albums from photos and videos
- eBay Advises Users To Change Passwords Following Cyberattack, “Large Number” Of Users Affected
- eBay faces investigations by 3 US states into data breach, UK data watchdog considers probe
- Apple confirms WWDC 2014 keynote to be held Monday, June 2nd at 10 AM PT; new hardware likely
- The Residence - Etihad Airways
- How the patent trolls won in Congress
- May One, Help U.S. kickstart fundamental reform, by reducing the influence of money in politics.