Feb 19th 2006
This Week in Tech 42
Dvorak's Lost It
Hosted by Leo Laporte
It's TWiT 42, your answer to life, the universe, and everything.
Records live every Sunday at 5:15pm Eastern / 2:15pm Pacific / 21:15 UTC.
- Thanks to Nitrozac and Snaggy for the cartoon
- Amazon is going head to head with Apple - opening its own music store
- The OS X Worm is nothing to worry about but it does herald the end of innocence for Mac users
- FON has found an interesting way to promote itself
- Is World of Warcraft the new golf?
- Funny how consumers and experts completely disagree on which LCOS display is best
- Want to know why Rep. Pete Sessions of Texas and Sen. John Ensign of Nevada are so hot to stop municipal wi-fi? Follow the money trail to ATT.
- The Firefox memory leak is a feature not a bug
- Is it illegal to play poker online? It's not clear but if two Congressmen have their way it will be, with a five year penalty to boot
- BitTorrent is proposing end-to-end encryption to foil ISPs who block the protocol
- Skype encryption prevents wiretapping. Or does it?
- And what's going on with Intel and Skype? Is it fair to artificially limit Skype's capabilities unless you use Intel?
- Careful watching "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" in Germany. Fox has planted a rootkit on the DVD.
- The ladies of the evening want families to boycott Grand Theft Auto
- Do two podcasts ending production make a trend? Some call it "podfading"
- Halo 2 will only ship on Vista, not XP
- And Vista will require a DirectX 9c capable video card
- More significantly, no video card has HDCP support yet, and Vista will require that for output to an HD display
- Careful playing solitaire around Mayor Bloomberg
- Microsoft antivirus uninstalls Norton. Oops.