Dec 18th 2005
This Week in Tech 35
Hosted by Leo Laporte
TWiT 35 is on the air. Audio only this week - we're on Skype.
Records live every Sunday at 6:00pm Eastern / 3:00pm Pacific / 23:00 UTC.
- Woz loves his Prius but don't be fooled by the green lights coming from it
- Join Leo and Woz on the MacMania IV cruise to Mexico, February 4-11, 2006
- Then Woz is off to the first annual Segway Polo Championships in New Zealand
- Google buys a 5% stake in AOL
- Shouldn't Microsoft spend more money on getting better search?
- There's some interesting stuff from Microsoft at sandbox.msn.com and start.com
- Protopage is the ultimate AJAX page - we'll interview the founder, Andre Parrie, Tuesday on Inside the Net
- Does anybody remember desktop.com?
- Bill and Melinda Gates join Bono as Time Magazine's Persons of the Year
- In 1982 it was supposed to be Steve Jobs, but the computer was nicer to people
- Andy Hertzfeld's Folklore.org says that the Apple Board almost killed the 1984 commercial
- Watch the 1984 ad and other classics on the macTVpodcast
- Look up folklore on dictionary.com, Andy
- Woz has written his autobiography with Gina Smith - but it shall remain nameless
- Warner-Chappelle has apologized to Walter Ritter , the author of the late, great, pearLyrics
- But... the music publishers are still going after the lyrics sites
- Sony finally settles with the inventor of the portable music player
- John likes Writely, the online word processor
- The new Yahoo Mail beta is pretty spectacular, too
- Leo uses Blinksale to do his invoice, stores his stuff on Backpack
- Kevin says wait until you see Google calendar
- Woz asks why does Google use weird ports for their POP mail?
- Gibson and Woz both use Eudora still, but Kevin loves Thunderbird and uses the Sage extension in Firefox for reading newsfeeds
- Wikipedia is being vandalized, and yet, according to Nature it's very nearly as accurate as the Encyclopedia Britannica
- The Apple Switch campaign generated a lot of parodies including the Canadian Switcher. Oops. I think Dvorak meant this one!
- Woz loves his Oakley Razrwire bluetooth sunglasses