Aug 22nd 2005
This Week in Tech 19
Episode 19 is In the Can
Hosted by Leo Laporte, Patrick Norton, Kevin Rose, Steve Gibson, Roger Chang, John C. Dvorak
Episode 19 is available now from the following locations
Records live every Sunday at 5:15pm Eastern / 2:15pm Pacific / 21:15 UTC.
- Fighting blog spam with Typekey on Movable Type and captcha on Blogger
- Hunter S. Thompson's funeral - they blow up his ashes
- Dvorak reminisces
- Is Microsoft at fault for the Zotob virus?
- Monad is removed from Vista
- PCMag's video review of the Vista Beta is next week
- Would 12,000 people riot for a $50 four-year-old Dell?
- Watch the video
- John explained it all last week in Marketwatch
- Steve and I plan to try using Lulu to offer CDs of the Security Now podcast
- Mom was right: looking at porn (or violence) makes you blind
- Linus is trademarking Linux
- Dvorak reminisces about GNU founder Richard Stallman
- We owe him for free software and the GPL - thank you Richard, I promise never to make you sing again
- Google sells another $4 billion in shares
- Dvorak loves Jim Cramer's Mad Money
- Who's going to unseat Google? Teoma? Clusty? All the Web?
- What do they spend the money on? Google's free Wi-Fi network? IM?
- Why is Yahoo spending a billion on a Chinese venture?
- Steve says Google engineers say Yahoo works better
- Part of Google's success is aesthitic - we love the clean white page
- Kevin likes the new MSN Home Page - using Ajax
- Dvorak.org/home.htm is Dvorak's home page
- Now that we've reached widespread broadband access who needs text only pages
- The FCC's broadband definition is bogus
- Where is the fast DSL the telcos promised us?
- Is Cisco holding out on us with 100 mbit DSL?
- Norton's patching bad copper with a visegrip
- Verizon's FIOS is all for show
- Come to our first live show at the SF Apple Store, 9/4 at 4p - come for the TWiT pocket protector
- Kevin wants something cooler. Like a coin purse.
- We extend an invitation to Martin Sargent
- Shilo from Zanesville, OH is looking for free music for his podcast.
- Try opsound.org. Creativecommons.org.
- Jeffrey from the Netherlands asks about the future of user interfaces
- Dvorak says it's like the automobile, now that we know how to use computers they're not going to change
- Leo says Jef Raskin's Archy is very cool
- How about voice recognition? It's not going to happen says Dvorak
- Scansoft owns Dragon Dictate and ViaVoice.
- Kevin from ivroots.com asks about IPTV
- Dvorak's got a newsletter about it IPTVDaily.com
- Patrick is doing a weekly IPTV show with Ziff-Davis
- IPTV is already in place around the world in countries that don't have cable
- Sweden's got it
- MythTV and Akimbo are attempting to make IPTV more friendly
- Dvorak offers to sell TWiT to Infinity Radio for $5 million
- Andy in Phoenix asks whether John gets spam. Andy, John gets NO spam.
- Lucky Phil in Sydney needs a BitTorrent client that doesn't set off alarms with his ISP. Any suggestions?
- Kariand Les of the The Signal podcast love the Firefly theme song. We still hate it.
- Randall from Charlestown, WV says his federal job won't allow USB devices. Is there an MP3 player that doesn't use USB? Hmmm.
- Leo promises to annnounce the winners in our name contest next Sunday. Finally.
- Dvorak wants to give away his old cables at the live shows.
- All geeks have a cable drawer.
- Puffy wonders about Internet security suits. We say build your own from free software like: AVG Anti-virus or Antivir, Microsoft's anti-spyware, Spybot, and Adaware.