Jul 26th 2005
This Week in Tech 15
Episode 15 is Done!
Hosted by Leo Laporte
Episode 15 of TWiT - The Headphones Edition - is finally done.
Records live every Sunday at 6:00pm Eastern / 3:00pm Pacific / 22:00 UTC.
- The Tom Leykis Show
- Dvorak uses Gizmo on today's episode
- Rock Star says it will lose $50 million thanks to the AO rating for GTA: San Adreas
- Windows Longhorn is now Vista
- Microsoft is trying to patent the smiley face
- Microsoft's profits were up 37% this quarter but Google is up 400%
- Dvorak's target price for Google shares: $500
- Is Google the next big threat to your privacy?
- Could Microsoft open a patent war by suing Apple over OS patent infringement?
- Microsoft and Wells Fargo offer "protection".
- Windows 98 is safer because it's old.
- Script kiddies attack what they own.
- Bill Gates says Windows is more secure because it's hacked more often.
- Motorola is expected to ship an iTunes phone on Monday.
- Maybe all-in-one devices aren't the best way to go.
- Dvorak carries a camera and that's it. No Scott E-Vest for him.
- He doesn't have an answering machine either.
- Leo uses Mailroute to fight spam.
- AnalogX's anti-spam technique and BitTorrent client.
- The Bayesian Bandwagon.
- Our new slogan.
- Cody from Tisdale, Canada asks about the new Windows Vista.
- Brian from Austin, Texas, asks for our anti-spyware recommendations.
- Dvorak uses Prevx.
- Tyler, Sean, and Paul put Los Osos on the map and ask about Patricks POC.
- Leo whines.
- Caleb from Merced, CA is asking about creating RSS feeds.
- Leo recommends Feeder.
- But he's reading Paypal Hacks.
- David from London, Ontario asks for disk imaging programs.
- Steve's favorite Windows disk imaging program is DriveSnapShot - 39 Euros.
- Leo likes Acronis TrueImage, too.
- Roger tells an apparently pointless anecdote about ComicCon.
- Steve's favorite video editor for Windows is Pinnacle Studio 7 but stay away from later versions.
- Leo and Roger prefer Adobe Premiere Elements.
- Steve exercises his rights under the Home Recording Act.
- Justin from Houston, Texas asks about wireless sermon broadcasts.
- Kevin pops in with his tale of woe.
- Karl from Stockholm asks if it's ok to buy an iBook, or should he wait for the Intel models.
- Jason from West Palm Beach: why aren't there any USB Pre-N adapters.
- A school in Virginia is selling 1000 iBooks for $50 each - but you have to show up.
- NewEgg is having a LAN Party on July 30-31 in Pasadena, CA. LANFest2K5 will feature over 500 combatants, a case-mod demo, and more. Call 562-271-4106 x3389 for info.
- Steve is a FreeBSD guy.
- Opera founder and CEO Jon van Tetzner joins us to talk about Opera 8, the future of Opera on cell phones and the PSP, and Microsoft's anti-competitive practices.