Jun 22nd 2008
This Week in Tech 148
Whither Yang and Yahoo, little Billy Gates, XP/Vista, tweeting ice on Mars, Firefox 3, and more.
- Last year, Harry McCracken quit, then returned, to PC World, protesting the killing of the "Ten Things We Hate About Apple" article.
- Yahoo Exec Tracker - 114 execs have left since Jan. 2007
- How to resign from Yahoo.
- Dvorak: Leave Jerry alone and let him manage Yahoo.
- Where's Jerry?
- Rare Bill Gates photos.
- Microsoft without Gates.
- Gates without Microsoft.
- Microsoft to spend $200 million more on Windows advertising.
- Ice discovered on Mars, heard first on Twitter (@MarsPhoenix).
- Teens prefer Web, TV over reading.
- A Beginner's Guide to Sporn (NSFW - not safe for work).
- Man selling his life on eBay.
- FCC sides with cable companies.
- Congress gives telecoms immunity.
- NVIDIA releases GeForce GTX 280.
- Firefox 3 sets new record, topping 8 million downloads in a day.
- Watch TWiT Live for live tech content.
- Flock - social Web browser
- WebKit - open source Web browser engine
- Foxmarks - bookmarking add-on
- PicLens - view sites in full-screen 3D
- Handbrake - open source DVD-to-MPEG-4 converter
Pick of the week: Andrew Horowitz' "The Disciplined Investor: Essential Strategies for Success"
Links to all our stories are at http://del.icio.us/twit/148.
Show notes by David Di Franco.