Jul 17th 2005
This Week in Tech 14
Episode 14 is Live
Hosted by Leo Laporte
Episode 14 is now available.
Records live every Sunday at 5:15pm Eastern / 2:15pm Pacific / 21:15 UTC.
Guests: Patrick Norton, Kevin Rose, Robert Heron, David Prager, John C. Dvorak
- Robert risks future Heron generations in the ion sniffer
- Leo had Wi-Fi on SAS all the way to and from Copenhagen
- Gizmo works on it, too, apparently
- Dvorak and Leo reminisce about PSA stewardesses - they're callipygous
- Let's go for Hot Coffee, just don't tell Hillary
- Garry's Mod in Half Life 2 is even cooler, but
- Dvorak says KP hired Colin Powell to sanitize him for the Presidency. Yes of the US.
- Microsoft's Longhorn will require monitor based DRM
- HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) is a must in new TVs
- Robert chronicles the Battlefield 2 patch fiasco, and Leo sings. Briefly.
- Leo compares programming to sausage making.
- Will the shuttle ever get off the ground? Maybe not, but Tom Cruise is still getting work.
- IBM drops the axe on OS/2.
- Consumers prefer Blu-Ray. According to the Blu-Ray Disk Association anyway.
- iTunes Music Store is the 800-pound gorilla in podcasting, but Dvorak says there's something better just around the corner.We like Odeo, but where's Google and Yahoo?
- Leo's handcoding the RSS, but Kevin's using Feedburner for Diggnation.
- Microsoft investigates a new XP flaw via remote desktop.
- Leo's doing a public GoToMeeting next Sunday.
- Google hacks we love including the Criag's List housing map
- Compare the openness of Google to the closed fist of Nikon.
- Digg is going to open its SDK, too.
- Google Earth is spawing a bunch of Google Earth Hacks.
- We love the flame out "I quit" note.
- What do Paul Allen and Tom Cruise have in common?
- How about Bill Ziff and Steve Jobs?
- Dvorak says it's over for Microsoft. Leo says they should distribute the profits and call it quits.
- Processor Technology did something similar
- Bill Gates Sr. is promoting whirled peas.
- The new systm is in progress and will be very cool and useful.
- John C. Dvorak's blog, Extreme Ipod.com
- Burning Man = naked men on bicycles.