Conspiracy theories arise online and off about the Florida school shooting. A Twitter bot purge significantly reduces the follower counts of conservative users, but Twitter claims it's not political. Google removes the 'view image' button from search results to appease photographers, and a federal judge says that embedding a tweet can be a copyright infringement. Has Google become too big? Plenty of examples featured in a New York Times article suggest that Google has been trying to suppress competition, prompting some critics to say the government should step in. Edible Arrangements also goes after Google because its competitors show up in search results. Google AI can now predict heart attacks through an eye scan.
- Jeff's number: 1,226,247, the number of people who signed the Change.org petition to revert to the old Snapchat.
- Kevin's pick: Secure Shell for coding on Chromebooks
- Joan's pick: Algorithms of Oppression: How Search Engines Reinforce Racism
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/this-week-in-google.
Thanks to CacheFly for the bandwidth for this show.
- School shooting survivor knocks down 'crisis actor' claim
- Dead Reckoning
- The students at Florida’s Douglas High are amazing communicators. That could save lives.
- The Follower Factory
- Twitter says most recent follower purge is about bots, not politics
- Google removes image view button from search
- The Case Against Google
- Why Europe's Google Rulings Don't Benefit Consumers
- Edible Arrangements Sues Google Over Search Engine Placements
- Tipsy Elves Sues Rival Over Google Ads
- What It Would Mean for Amazon to Bring Ads to Alexa
- Federal Judge Says Embedding a Tweet Can Be Copyright Infringement
- Google AI to predict heart attacks via eye
- Risks for Startups Taking Money From Amazon’s Alexa Fund — The Information
- NY supermarket chain Tops files bankruptcy, cites debt and Amazon
- FCC Inspector General to Investigate Ajit Pai Over Sinclair Deal
- Damore loses case against Google over firing
- Analysts: Twitter, Snap will grow at expense of FB
- Need to code on a Chromebook / Pixelbook? This web app and a Raspberry Pi do the trick for me.
- Algorithms of Oppression: How Search Engines Reinforce Racism