Google's 1st CES: Assistant is everywhere, but so is rain. People keep stealing Google bikes. AT&T pulls out of a Huawei deal - Huawei CEO is not pleased. Mark Zuckerberg's ""personal challenge"" for 2018 is to do his job. Facebook kills M. Meltdown mitigation hurts. Record number of US border gadget searches. Senate will vote to fix Net Neutrality. IoT at CES.
- Jeff's Pick: my_aussie_gal on Instagram
- Mathew's Pick: Sarah Silverman and the Twitter Troll
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/this-week-in-google.
Thanks to CacheFly for the bandwidth for this show.
- Why is Google taking over Vegas for CES 2018?
- Google says Assistant is available on 400M+ devices, while it sold more than one Home every second since Home Mini Oct. launch,
- Google takes on Echo Show with four new smart displays
- Multicooker will have Assistant built in
- Kohler Konnect
- Oh, hey look! These all white Google getups are the fashion hit of CES
- LG Unveils Voice Assistant That Ignores Your Questions, Just Like Real People
- CES 2018 has all the coolest technology (except electricity)
- People won’t stop stealing employee bikes from Google’s Mountain View campus
- Sources: AT&T has walked away from a deal to sell smartphones made by Huawei, a partnership that was expected to be announced on
- Huawei’s CEO going off-script to rage at US carriers was the best speech of CES
- Source: Verizon also under pressure to cancel upcoming Huawei phone launch
- James Damore just filed a class action lawsuit against Google, saying it discriminates against white male conservatives
- AMP letter
- Mark Zuckerberg says fixing Facebook is his ‘personal challenge’ for 2018
- Facebook says it's sunsetting M as a standalone concierge bot, but its context-based suggestions will live on inside Messenger c
- Sources: Facebook plans to unveil Portal, an Echo Show-like video chat device with a screen and camera, at F8 in May and ship it
- Amazon coughs up record amount of info to subpoena-happy US government
- Scott Hanselman on Twitter: "Explaining #Meltdown to non-technical spouse. “You know how we finish each other’s...” “Sandwiches?
- Epic Games blames Meltdown CPU performance issues for Fortnite downtime - The Verge
- Warrantless phone, laptop searches at the US border hit record levels
- New US Customs guidelines for border searches of devices still allow search of info stored locally, need "reasonable suspicion"
- Senate will force vote on overturning net neutrality repeal
- Google shuts down its CES booth because it’s not waterproof
- HTC unveils Vive Pro VR headset with 2880x1600 resolution, a 78% increase over current Vive, and wireless adapter, so customers
- Google and Lenovo announce first standalone Daydream headset and new VR180 consumer cameras
- Amazing tale of Sarah Silverman's empathy for a troll
- Remember Dogecoin? The joke currency soared to $2 billion this weekend
- Telegram plans multi-billion dollar ICO for chat cryptocurrency | TechCrunch