Jan 3rd 2018
This Week in Google 438
Hosted by Leo Laporte, Jeff Jarvis
The 4channing of America
Records live every Wednesday at 5:00pm Eastern / 2:00pm Pacific / 21:00 UTC.
Guests: Kevin Marks
Say farewell to Pixel C, YouTube on Alexa, and decency on YouTube. Say hello to Trump's big button, SWATing, and corporations as malevolent AIs. Google Images knows how you'll vote. Ads coming to Alexa. Amazon is not really going to buy Target, are they? Equifax gets off scot-free. Facebook's new Center for Deleting Content.
- Leo's Tool: What 3 Words: a new way to navigate
- Jeff's Number: Million Short: search links without the top million results
- Kevin's Stuff: IndieWeb, Homebrew Website Club, and Micro.blog
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/this-week-in-google.
Thanks to CacheFly for the bandwidth for this show.
- The Pixel C has been dropped from the Google Store
- The Pixelbook is being used to test Google's Fuchsia OS
- Kernel memory leaking' Intel processor design flaw forces Linux, Windows redesign • The Register
- Intel Responds to Security Research Findings
- What’s behind the Intel design flaw forcing numerous patches?
- As of today (Jan. 1) Google is blocking the use of YouTube on Amazon devices
- The Logan Paul Suicide Video Shows YouTube Is Facing A Crucial Turning Point
- Dude, you broke the future!
- Donald Trump Didn’t Want to Be President
- Kansas Man Killed In ‘SWATting’ Attack. This particular swatting reportedly originated over a $1.50 wagered match in the online
- New bill could finally get rid of paperless voting machines - The bill reads like a computer security expert’s wish list.
- Report: Amazon in discussions with consumer brands about ads on Alexa
- Tesla becomes most popular automaker in Norway, where 32% of new cars are electric
- How Do You Vote? 50M Google Images Give a Clue
- Study: FB and phone records to be used to identify possible disease bridges to stop an outbreak before it begins
- Study: Fake news had wide reach, little impact
- Facebook ditches fake news flag after admitting it was making the problem worse
- A Visit to Facebook's Recently Opened Center for Deleting Content
- After Equifax breach, anger but no action in Congress. The aftermath of the data breach played out like a familiar script: White
- Amazon Buying Target Is Bananas Right?
- Amazon ordered to stop luring customers based on misspelled searches for Birkenstock
- Samsung Galaxy S9 design revealed based on supply line leaks. USB-C, headphone jack, microSD. Dual camera on S9 Plus.
- Upcoming ‘Nautilus’ detachable Chromebook confirmed to be coming from Samsung, packing Sony IMX camera sensor
- Search engine *removes* top million sites
- Indiewebcamp Baltimore jan 20-21
- What 3 Words