Leo is out - Jason Howell dives into the Android O Developer Preview. Samsung announced the bezel-free Galaxy S8 today, along with a new Gear 360, Connect Home router, and virtual assistant Bixby. Google continues to confuse everyone with its messages strategy. More advertisers are boycotting YouTube. Congress kills FCC ISP privacy rules. Android's daddy has a secret new phone. And the blackest paint ever comes in spray form.
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/this-week-in-google.
Thanks to CacheFly for the bandwidth for this show.
- O-MG, the Developer Preview of Android O is here!
- This is the Samsung Galaxy S8, coming April 21st
- Samsung adds a controller to the Gear VR, will bundle both with Galaxy S8 pre-orders
- The Galaxy S8 can double as a pretend desktop
- “Samsung Dex” is a Galaxy S8 dock that makes your phone into a desktop
- Samsung store bursts into flames ahead of Galaxy S8 launch
- Samsung new competitor to Google Pixel C
- Samsung Connect Home: A Google Wifi clone with a SmartThings twist
- Microsoft brings Cortana to the Android lock screen
- Samsung updates Gear 360 camera with slimmer design, 4K and live video support
- Facebook opens up 360-degree live streaming to all
- Samsung is now selling virtual reality using an ostrich in a Gear VR
- Google Talk is dead, Hangouts is the new Slack, Project Fi users are screwed and everyone hates Allo
- Google drops SMS support from Hangouts
- G Suite Update Alerts: Updates in G Suite to streamline Hangouts and Gmail
- Google removes location sharing from Google+ as it appears for more Google Maps users
- Facebook Messenger now lets you share your live location to a group of friends or just one person for one hour at a time
- YouTube is facing a full-scale advertising boycott over hate speech
- For advertisers, algorithms can lead to unexpected exposure on sites spewing hate
- YouTube’s ad mess gives advertisers leverage for what they really want: More data
- Congress just cleared the way for internet providers to sell your web browsing history
- Purchase Private Internet Histories - GoFundMe
- How to Protect Your Online Privacy Now That Congress Sold You Out
- Andy Rubin teases bezel-less phone - which are so hot right now - in picture on Twitter
- Related: Eric Schmidt confirms Android
- 100 Days of IndieWeb
- AMP bookmarklet
- Really good Foursquare piece
- PSA: Google Play now has a ‘Free App of the Week’ section