Jan 18th 2017
This Week in Google 388
A Doctor in Industry
Hosted by Leo Laporte, Jeff Jarvis, Stacey Higginbotham
AI, new Google smartwatch, HTC U
Records live every Wednesday at 5:00pm Eastern / 2:00pm Pacific / 21:00 UTC.
Guests: Kevin Marks
Jeff Jarvis' report from the World Economic Forum in Davos. Artificial intelligences of the future. Google smartwatch with Android Wear 2.0 to launch February 9th. The most common passwords of 2016. Chelsea Manning's sentence commuted. Samsung Galaxy Note 7 battery fires caused by... the battery, details to follow January 23rd.
- Jeff's Number: 2017 Edelman Trust Barometer
- Stacey's Thing: Stringify
- Kevin's Stuff: Homebrew Website Club, Webmention, Micro.blog
- Leo's Tools: The Nicest Place on the Internet, Astronaut.io, The Internet Archive
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/this-week-in-google.
Thanks to CacheFly for the bandwidth for this show.
- Jurgen Schmidhuber
- Google smartwatch reportedly packs a “Digital Crown,” launches February 9
- Verizon will block Note7 holdouts from placing calls, may bill them for the phone's full price
- Samsung: Over 96% of Galaxy Note7 phones returned to date
- Department of Transportation: Airlines can stop warning passengers about the Galaxy Note 7 before boarding
- Google prepares for payments through Google Assistant in latest beta update
- Google Agrees to Buy Twitter Unit Called Fabric
- Google+ is getting filters for low-quality comments, some layout adjustments, and the return of Events
- Amazon Echo and Echo Dot update adds “Computer” wake word to help complete the Star Trek fantasy
- Why Los Angeles made an Alexa skill, and what the city wants to do with it
- Amazon seeks permission for mystery wireless tests in rural Washington
- Samsung to announce Note 7 findings January 23? Here's what to expect
- A new type of censorship thanks to tech
- WhatsApp backdoor allows snooping on encrypted messages
- Open Whisper Systems >> Blog >> There is no WhatsApp 'backdoor'
- The most common passwords of 2016
- HTC's new U series phones follow Apple's iPhone 7 in eliminating headphone jacks
- Google Key Transparency
- Homebrew Website Club next week
- micro.blog - a new reader/blogging site
- The Nicest Place on the Internet
- The Internet Archive
- 2017 Edelman Trust Barometer