Nov 2nd 2016
This Week in Google 377
Hosted by Leo Laporte, Jeff Jarvis, Stacey Higginbotham
Google AI's secret crypto, Android Harry Potter voice controls, big changes to IFTTT.
Records live every Wednesday at 5:00pm Eastern / 2:00pm Pacific / 21:00 UTC.
Google Artificial Intelligence invents a crypto system that nobody understands, Android incorporates Harry Potter spells for voice commands, Facebook and Alphabet Q3 results, Could Twitter have saved Vine? IFTTT switches to pre-made "applets."
- Stacey is super excited about the new Harry Potter voice commands, Leo is disappointed that "Avada Kedavra" fails to kill anyone.
- IFTTT will no longer let you write your own recipes - Leo says everyone switch to Zapier, quick!
- Spatchcocking is the best way to roast a chicken
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/this-week-in-google.
Thanks to CacheFly for the bandwidth for this show.
- Dyn post mortem
- Researchers: Friday's DDoS attack on Dyn was powered at least in part by a Mirai-based botnet of mainly DVRs and cameras
- DDoS attacks using IoT devices follow The Manchurian Candidate model
- We Built a Fake Web Toaster to Tempt the Mirai Botnet. It Was Hacked in an Hour.
- Using Rowhammer bitflips to root Android phones is now a thing
- Verified Voting
- STAR-Vote: A Secure, Transparent, Auditable, and Reliable Voting System
- New York Times Messenger Bot
- Get Purple
- Amazon launches $3/month chat style reading app "Rapids" for kids, available today on Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire devices
- Google AI invents its own cryptographic algorithm; no one knows how it works
- SoftBank’s Masayoshi Son is investing to make the ‘Singularity’ happen
- Google appears to be sending $50 Google Play credits to Pixel buyers with missed delivery windows
- Report: Google Pixel adoption surpassing Nexus 6P in first week, but constrained by supply
- Allo 2.0 update brings app shortcuts, GIF keyboard support, and several other new features
- Facebook Reports Third Quarter 2016 Results
- Google Casts A Spell On Millennials With Harry Potter Voice Controls For Android
- Google Assistant just got a whole lot smarter with IFTTT integration
- Your IFTTT recipes are about to change
- Patient burned by mid-surgery explosion when laser ignites fart - NY Daily News
- Alphabet Announces Third Quarter 2016 Results
- More Than 1 Million 'Check In' On Facebook To Support The Standing Rock Sioux
- There’s no way your Facebook “check-in” is confusing North Dakota cops
- Inside the secret meeting that changed the fate of Vine forever
- Founder’s comment on Vine shutting down? “Don’t sell your company!”
- Vine founders’ Hype app blends live video into a rich multimedia mix
- Family sues Amazon after hoverboard fire destroys $1M house
- Anki Cozmo
- Check out Tesla's four different glass solar roofs
- Tesla Design Studio
- Don’t plan on using your autonomous Tesla to earn money with Uber or Lyft
- It’s Finally Legal To Hack Your Own Devices (Even Your Car)
- It’s official: Oracle will appeal its “fair use” loss against Google
- The Digital Transition: How the Presidential Transition Works in the Social Media Age
- The Food Lab: How to Grill a Whole Chicken
- I am near to the grocery, do you need something?
- Here's why Facebook stock tanked despite the company crushing targets
- Get LastPass Everywhere: Multi-Device Access Is Now Free!