Uber's replacement for CEO Travis Kalanik, according to Recode's sources, is likely to be Khosrowshahi, CEO of Expedia since 2005 whose grown that property from $2.1 billion in 2005 to $8.7 billion in 2016. A letter sent to Expedia employees by Expedia chair Barry Diller confirms that Dara has been asked to do so, but that nothing is finalized yet.
Fitbit has a new smartwatch, the $300 Ionic. It's water resistant up to 50 meters and includes built-in GPS and heart rate monitoring. The company also announced new 4130 flyer in-ear wireless headphones to use with the device on your runs.
Microsoft is revealing more details on its upcoming Windows 10 Fall Creators Update that will officially usher in the era of the company’s Mixed Reality efforts. Microsoft announced a new entry-level tier for its Windows Mixed Reality platform that bypasses the need for high-end graphics cards to power the experience. Microsoft also announced a partnership with Steam VR meaning access to a wide variety of titles from Steam that can be found on competing VR platforms.
We also talk about Apple's Fall Event and Amazon cutting prices at Whole Foods. Plus, Jeremiah Lindemann, public interest technology fellow at New America joins us to talk about how he's using data to map the Opioiod crisis to help solve it.
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/tech-news-today.
Thanks to CacheFly for the bandwidth for this show.
- Expedia CEO Dara Khosrowshahi will be offered the job as Uber’s new CEO
- Dara Khosrowshahi has officially told Expedia he wants to become CEO of Uber — but he hasn’t left yet
- Who is new Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi?
- Tweet from @MEGra18 - Jeff Bezos and Dara Khosrowshahi
- Fitbit announces $300 Ionic smartwatch with water resistance, GPS, and heart rate monitoring
- Microsoft Mixed Reality to get support for SteamVR, Minecraft and Halo starting this holiday season
- Dell's Windows Mixed Reality Visor will sell for $349.99
- Apple to Hold Product Launch Event on Sept. 12
- Celebrating Lost Loved Ones - OpioidEpidemic.maps.arcgis.com
- Why Data About the Opioid Epidemic Is So Unreliable
- Tackle Opioid Epidemic
- Verizon Unlimited
- Amazon Cuts Whole Foods Prices as Much as 43% on First Day
- Amazon marks its territory at Whole Foods by selling ‘Farm Fresh’ Echo devices in select stores
- More Amazon meat at another LA-based Whole Foods - @kurtwagner8