Microsoft is looking to improve broadband internet connectivity in rural America with a $10 billion dollar pilot program called the Rural Airband Initiative that should reach 23.4 million Americans who don’t have access to high speed internet. The plan involves identifying unused white space frequencies in rural areas and repurposing for high speed internet.
According to one CNBC analyst, Amazon's Prime Day could lead to $10 billion in lost productivity. The math works like this. Approximately 85 million Prime members spend about a minute on Amazon every time a new round of deals pop up during the 30-hour event.
Facebook is readying a worldwide rollout of ads in the Messenger home tab. Facebook has been testing the feature in a beta locked to Thailand and Australia since last January, and the ads beta is expected to roll out to all in the coming weeks.
Plus, we discuss facial recognition software in China, what its like for women working in VR and how to turn caterpillars into cannibals.
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/tech-news-today.
Thanks to CacheFly for the bandwidth for this show.
- Microsoft pushing for $10B effort to bring broadband internet to rural America
- Amazon Prime Day delivers economic blow to workplace
- Facebook to expand Messenger home screen ads beta worldwide
- Saving Face: Investment in Recognition Technology Heats Up in China
- Here's What It's Actually Like to Be a Woman in VR
- When attacked, tomato plants release a chemical that make caterpillars eat each other instead