Amazon is buying Whole Foods for 13.4 billion dollars. The deal caused a quick sell-off of grocery store and shopping center stocks on wall street. According to Amazon, Whole Foods will continue to operate stores under the Whole Foods Market brand and CEO John Mackay will remain at the helm.
Lyft says that someday, when it does shift over to self-driving cars instead of running a service with humans behind the wheel, those cars will be electric. And the electricity for those cars will come 100% from renewable power sources. The goal: to provide 1 billion rides per year using electric, self-driving cars by 2025. Lyft has partnered with NuTonomy, a self-driving startup, to deploy some autonomous electric cars in Boston by the end of the year.
Apple is getting more serious about original content. The company has hired two long-time Sony Pictures Television executives to lead its video programming division. The execs have been responsible for critical hits like "Breaking Bad," "Better Call Saul," and "The Crown."
We also talk about the verdict in the Philando Castille trial and how a disproportionate number of black people die at the hands of law enforcement across the United States. So far, technology doesn’t seem to be providing a solution to this ongoing problem. Plus, a wrap-of of E3 and a smart suitcase that charges your phone and makes you look like a very stylish spy.
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/tech-news-today.
Thanks to CacheFly for the bandwidth for this show.
- Samsara’s smart suitcase is 5x overfunded on Kickstarter, but not because of its tech
- Xbox E3 2017 Briefing
- 2017 ARMS Open Invitational - Grand Finals & FINAL BOSS! - Nintendo E3 2017
- Donut County Reveal Trailer
- YIIK: A Postmodern RPG Trailer No.3
- Apple, Moving In on Prestige TV, Poaches Two Sony Executives
- Lyft says all of its self-driving electric cars will be powered by ‘100% renewable energy’
- This Startup Wants To Track Your Smartphone — To Improve Your Mental Health
- Minnesota Officer Acquitted in Killing of Philando Castile
- Shots Fired: Part 1
- Amazon to Acquire Whole Foods for $13.7 Billion