According to a letter to federal regulators, Apple is investing in the study of machine learning, automation, and the potential of automated systems in many areas, including transportation.
Google wants to make sure Android users are in touch with their loved ones when disaster strikes. Trusted Contacts lets you select a few contacts that you trust most who would be notified in the case of an emergency.
Amazon's rumored brick and mortar grocery store is open as a beta test for employees. With their patented new "just walk out technology," the online giant says they've used machine learning, computer vision, and AI so you never have to wait in line at the grocery store again.
Leap Motion, the company that has created motion control hardware for PCs that track hand and finger movements, is now turning its attention to mobile VR. The Leap Motion Mobile Platform is aimed at mobile headset makers that might integrate the technology into their products.
At TechCrunch Disrupt in London, Volkswagen announced Moia, a new ride-sharing business designed to challenge Uber. For now, the 50 person startup will operate independently of Volkswagen as a ride-hailing company like Uber, but they're also planning more traditional ride sharing and other cleaner, quieter modes of transportation.
Uber announced its acquisition of Geometric Intelligence to build out its own A.I. Labs research arm.
Google opened up its DeepMind AI training platform, placing its entire codebase on Github.
Microsoft developed a new conversational chatbot named Zo, currently available for the Kik platform.
- Adi Robertson from The Verge discusses her review of the new Oculus Touch controller, and compares it against the HTC Vive and Sony PS VR.
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/tech-news-today.
Thanks to CacheFly for the bandwidth for this show.
- What is the Apple Car? Even Apple doesn’t know.
- Google’s new “Trusted Contacts” app lets you keep tabs on family
- Amazon is opening a grocery store with no cashiers and no checkout lines
- Touching things in VR with your real hands is a total game changer
- Volkswagen spins off new company focused on ride-hailing and self-driving cars
- Uber Bets on Artificial Intelligence With Acquisition and New Lab
- DeepMind AI
- Zo is Microsoft’s latest AI chatbot
- OCULUS TOUCH REVIEW: THE OCULUS RIFT IS FINALLY COMPLETE
- BMW remotely locked a vehicle to trap a thief inside the car he stole