Members of Facebook’s engineering staff disagree with CEO Mark Zuckerberg's stance that false news on the network did not have an impact on last week's election. They are reportedly forming an unofficial task force within the company, meeting in secret to formalize a list of recommendations to offer up to senior management to improve the situation. The FBI has contracted with data analytics firm Dataminr to get full access to Twitter's firehose. Google is releasing an update to Google Play Music that brings an entirely new look, along with location tracking, to offer up different playlists based on user location, time of day, and previous listening patterns. The new app will also automatically cache music that's listened to for offline listening. The adult dating websites AdultFriendFinder, Cams.com, and Penthouse have been hacked, revealing personal details from the accounts of more than 400 million users. That's the largest known breach of personal data this year. According to LeakedSource.com, the stash of data includes 15 million email addresses connected to deleted accounts. Finally, the Matrix PowerWatch is a fitness tracking smartwatch that's currently up for pre-order on Indiegogo and reportedly uses body heat to charge the battery while the user wears it.
- Rene Ritchie from MacBreak Weekly tells us who needs the new MacBook Pros, and who does not.
- Sam Abuelsamid from Navigant Research talks about Samsung's purchase of Harman.
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/tech-news-today.
Thanks to CacheFly for the bandwidth for this show.
- Facebook's Fight Against Fake News Was Undercut by Fear of Conservative Backlash
- AdultFriendFinder hack puts 412 million accounts at risk
- Google revamps Play Music with optional recommendations based on your location and activity
- The dream of the no-charge watch: Matrix PowerWatch claims to run on your body heat (hands-on)
- MacBook Pro 2016 review: The love/hate future of laptops
- Phil Schiller Says Apple Tested and Rejected Touch Screen Macs, Finding It 'Absurd' on a Desktop
- Samsung Acquires A Big Slice Of The Connected Vehicle Space With $8 Billion Acquisition Of Harman
- Tesla AutoPilot Owner Survey Shows Small But Significant Fraction Don't Understand Limitations
- The FBI just got its hands on data that Twitter wouldn’t give the CIA
- Social Media Awareness - Indicators & Warnings
- Your Government Wants to Militarize Social Media to Influence Your Beliefs
- People are paying truly stupid amounts of money for Snapchat Spectacles