Jason Howell and Megan Morrone discuss Tesla, Apple, Google, and much more. First, Tesla’s autopilot function has seen its fair share of scrutiny, and the German Transport Miniser Alexander Dobrindt has asked Tesla to change the name of the feature to help with consumer understanding of its purpose. Ina Fried at ReCode says Apple has hired AI expert Russ Salakhutdinov, whose work focuses on neural networks, and voice/image recognition. The new hire tweeted that he would be joining Apple as a director of AI research, but would continue his job as a professor of deep learning at Carnegie Melon University. He's also looking to hire some machine learning specialist. Because who isn't? Samsung isn’t just a phone company with battery issues. It’s also a chip company, and just announced the new Exynos 7 Dual 7270 chip for wearable devices. Netflix reported third quarter earnings today. Just in time for those making holiday travel arrangements, Google has improved Google Flights to let users know when a given price is expected to expire and go up so users can snap up good deals before it's too late. Plus, a new study says selfies make you happier.
- Mark Gurman at Bloomberg says Apple's Project Titan is pivoting. Tim Stevens from CNET's Roadshow offers his thoughts.
- Writing in Forbes today, Thomas Fox Brewster says a court filing dated May 9, 2016 says representatives from the Department of Justice entered a California home and demanded that everyone on the premises open their phones with their fingerprints. Denise Howell from TWiL helps explain the privacy of passwords vs. biometric data.
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/tech-news-today.
Thanks to CacheFly for the bandwidth for this show.
- Germany says Tesla should not use 'Autopilot' in advertising
- Apple has hired a big brain in AI to make Siri less dumb
- Samsung crams LTE into a tiny smartwatch chip
- Netflix hits 86.7 million subscribers and spikes 20% as growth exceeds expectations
- Google Flights will now tell you when fares will increase, help you find cheaper tickets
- Will car manufacturers want in on Apple's self-driving system?
- Apple's Project Titan might be less titanic than originally thought
- Feds Walk Into A Building, Demand Everyone's Fingerprints To Open Phones
- New study says taking more smiling selfies increases happiness