Jul 22nd 2016
Tech News Today 1561
It appears that Yahoo's search for a suitor is nearing its bitter end. Sources report that a sale of Yahoo's search business to Verizon is imminent. This doesn't come as much of a surprise. We've all read the leaks and speculation and Verizon has been a front-runner for a while, due in part to its massive pile of cash and its ability and desire to patch together a digital media empire along with its purchase of AOL. Seems like a game of Monopoly to us. Fresh off yesterday's announcement of a phone case that stops government surveillance, NSA Whistleblower Edward Snowden appeared at a secret Comic-Con screening of the film Snowden by Oliver Stone. The New York Times reports that internet celebrity Jack Johnson has been hacking his fans accounts. How? He asked for their credentials and tens of thousands of them complied. The YouTube and Vine star then left funny videos on the fans Twitter account, playing keyboard, doing somersaults, or praising their pinned tweets with the hashtag, HackedByJohnson. The Times says those kids who handed over their passwords knew exactly what they were doing and it was a normal act of teenage rebellion. Amazon drones are yet to deliver sneakers to my home, but 7-Eleven has completed its maiden home drone delivery, dropping off Slurpees, a chicken sandwich, donuts, hot coffee and candy directly to somebody's front door. 7-Eleven partnerered with drone company Flirty to make the FAA approved delivery. Last year we told you about Flirty's first delivery ever, which was to deliver medical supplies from an airfield to a medical clinic. Slurpees are a far cry from medical supplies. But the coffee is another story. Scott Hanselman from Microsoft talks about Windows 10 Developer Mode and Alex Kantrowitz discusses Tinder's new group date feature, Tinder Social.
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/tech-news-today.
Thanks to Cachefly for the bandwidth for this show.
- Verizon Nears Deal to Acquire Yahoo
- Edward Snowden made an appearance at a secret Comic-Con screening of Snowden
- A Cute Internet Star Flirts. All He Wants Is Your Password.
- #HackedByJohnson: Fans Are Willingly Handing Over Their Twitter Passwords to Jack Johnson
- 7-Eleven Just Used a Drone to Deliver a Chicken Sandwich and Slurpees
- Windows 10 "Developer Mode"
- Is your stuff backed up? Recovering from a hardware failure
- UPDATED 2014: How to setup CrashPlan Cloud Backup on a Synology NAS running DSM 5.0
- Everything You Need To Know About Tinder Social, Tinder’s New Group-Matching Feature
- Boat thieves thwarted by teens with a Phantom drone