* Fraud Alert
- This is a service offered by all the CRC (Credit Reporting Company)
- It is to be used if you are CONCERNED about fraud/ID Theft
- Good for 90 days
- Any time a lender wants to open a new line of credit, they are informed that they should contact you FIRST to verify your identity.
- Only need to place a FA with ONE of the CRCs, they must notify the other CRCs
* Extended Fraud Alert
- Also offered by all CRCs
- It is to be used if you ARE the victim of fraud/ID Theft
- REQUIRES AN ID THEFT REPORT!
- Good for 7 years
- Gives you 2 free credit reports from EACH CRC (for 12 months)
* Active Duty Military Alert
- A FA, but it lasts for a year.
Use TransUnion (Padre's favorite... or at least the one he hates the least)
* Really Simple process
- Go to fraud.transunion.com
- Create a new account (must enter in name, address, SSN and other personal information)
- File an "initial fraud alert"
- Give them a phone number or two that potential creditors will call to verify your identity.
- You are now set for your Fraud Alert
- (Put the expiration date on your calendar so you know when you need to renew)
* Credit Freeze
- A freeze is different from a Fraud Alert b/c while creditors are notified to contact you to verify your identity in a FA, in a Freeze, a creditor can't even SEE your credit history without your authorization.
- You get a PIN so that you can see the status of your freeze
- Typically a $5-$30 fee
- MIGHT Be a fee to release a freeze
- The duration of the freeze depends on state law.
- In some states, a freeze lasts 7 years, others it stays till YOU lift it.
-- Be careful with a freeze... as it WILL complicate credit you apply for... and possibly JOBS.
Equifax — 1-800-349-9960
Experian — 1‑888‑397‑3742
TransUnion — 1-888-909-8872
Maintaining your protection
* You can get a FREE Credit report from ALL 3 of the big Credit Report bureaus once a year from AnnualCreditReport.com
* Better still... Start a rotation and get one credit report from one bureau every 4 months.
iOS Apps: Mint (but don't do the free credit score, b/c it's from Equifax)
YNAB - You Need a Budget (we use this for tracking all of our finances, I know it inside and out)
* FICO Score (Bottom of Front Page)
* USEFUL info in the tabs
- Score Factors (find out what's holding down your score)
- Credit Education (Tips for increasing your credit score)
* Card-Free ATM (Middle of Front Page)
- Allows you to get a one-time code that gives you access to an ATM for up to 30 minutes
Wells Fargo or your bank app - Manage Alerts (get text alerts when a password or username changes or when your balance falls below a certain level or when there's a withdrawal)
Qapital - Creative and automatic saving techniques
American Express App
* Purchase notifications
- Menu > Settings > Notifications
- Turn on "Notifications" and "Purchase Alerts"
- This brings up a notification anytime there is card activity
LastPass - We'll be cleaning up our passwords on The New Screen Savers #DigitalCleanse
* Shows Credit scores on the front page
* Credit Score change notifications
- Menu > Settings > Check "Credit Monitoring"
- This will give you a notification any time your credit score changes
Connect with us!
- Don't forget to check out our large library of projects at https://twit.tv/shows/know-how.
- Join our Google+ Community.
- Tweet at us at @PadreSJ and @Anelf3.
Thanks to CacheFly for the bandwidth for this show.