Aug 28th 2017
Know How... 340
Protecting Your Campus Network
Protecting myself on a college network
"What is the best way to protect yourself at college on a college network? I am going to have a NAS, set up there too and what is the best way to protect as much as possible? Unfortunately, my college does not allow routers, so that is out." - David Bruns
- He says they check the rooms (that's how they know if he has a router)
Why are they doing this?
- They need to control the devices on their network
- They need to NOT have rogue Wi-Fi APs that congest the airwaves
- They need to know WHO has done something unauthorized on their network
HOW are they doing this?
- Scanning for Wi-Fi APs (even hidden ones) - Possibly running deauth attacks on any non-auth AP
- Most likely, they're also looking at MAC addresses to see if he's using a device registered from a router manufacturer.
- Traffic inspection: If a single IP (through a NAT) has more active connections than can be expected from a single device, they can escalate your connection to an "inspect the room" search
So... we have two challenges:
- Don't let them DETECT that you're using a router.
- Don't let them SEE that you're using a router
- Turn off the Wi-Fi (Sorry... I know it's inconvenient, but it's a dead giveaway
- Close ALL ports (Don't let them enumerate your router... otherwise you TELL them you have a router)
- No external access of your NAS (this is a dead giveaway)
- Limit multi-device throughput
- Cloning your MAC address
Jason Howell and the Amazing (kinda) Asus Zenphone AR
- Specs: 5.7” WQHD SAMOLED display
- Snapdragon 821
- 8GB RAM, 128GB ROM
- ASUS TriCam System w/ 23MP f2.0 camera, Motion tracking camera w/ fish eye lens, depth sensing camera w/ IR
- 3300mAh battery
- Android 7.0 Nougat
- First device with Tango and Daydream
Connect with us!
- Don't forget to check out our large library of projects at https://twit.tv/shows/know-how.
- Join our Google+ Community.
- Tweet at us at @PadreSJ and @Anelf3.
Thanks to CacheFly for the bandwidth for this show.