Patrick comes on to teach us how to use a sewing machine along with the techniques, fabric, and hurdles you'll need to know before attempting your own cosplay costume!
Patrick's tips for sewing:
- Get more fabric than you think you'll need because you will make mistakes.
- Measure twice, cut once!
- If you're using expensive fabric, you'll probably want to make a rough draft using cheap fabric like muslin.
- Remember to leave a seam allowance. You'll need extra fabric around the edge in order to sew your seams. An inch should be plenty in most cases.
- Pin fabric before sewing a seam. Not only will you be able to test the fit before sewing, but it will hold the fabric in place while you sew.
- Sewing straight lines is easy. Sewing curves can be challenging.
- Find sewing patterns to help you get the proper shape for your fabric pieces. If you're creating something original, you may be able to use different parts of existing patterns to make various parts of your costume.
If you're looking for fan conventions in your area to show off your costume (or where you can meet other cosplayers or attend panels on cosplay), check Patrick's FanCons.com site.
Connect with us!
- Don't forget to check out our large library of projects at https://twit.tv/shows/know-how.
- Join our Google+ Community.
- Tweet at us at @PadreSJ, @Cranky_Hippo, @PDelahanty, and @Anelf3.
Thanks to CacheFly for the bandwidth for this show.