Aug 27th 2015
Know How... 158
Intel RealSense, Thermoelectric Cooling, and Win10 Gestures on a MacBook
Intel's take on Microsoft's "Kinect" is called RealSense, Thermoelectric Cooling Basics, DIY Active Cooler, and a way to use Windows 10 Gestures on your MacBook.
Let's talk about Intel RealSense!
* It's Intel's take on Microsoft's "Kinect"
* It was developed primarily as a hardware implementation of "gesture-based" IO
* They just released their newest version of RealSense, the R200 and gave away units at one of the IDF sessions. (I wasn't able to get in. :( )
The new version uses a variety of tech
* A 2d camera for conventional image capture // an IR camera for depth perception // an IR laser projector
* A special Intel chip in the unit captures the 2D image, then uses the IR image to create a 3D image.
This enables a few intersting applications:
1. It gives you 22 tracking points per hand.
3. It allows for interesting camera tricks... like green-screen-less chroma keying. (Since it can scan for depth, you simply tell it not to include anything past a certain distance.)
TEC (Thermoelectric Cooling Basics)
A TEC is a solid-state device that uses the "Peltier Effect" to create a "heat flux" between two different materials, acting as a "heat pump" that transfers heat from one side of the device to the other.
You make a TEC by placing two semiconductors, made of different materials, physically parallel to one another, but electrically wired in series. You then attach each semiconductor to a thermally conductive plate. (Ceramic)
-- You need two different semiconductors because you want two different electron densities
-- When you charge the device (one semiconductor is postive, the other side is negative) you will get a flow of DC current across the junction between the two semiconductors
-- As the current jumps across the junction, one side of the device will get hot, and the other side will get cold.
-- (The heat from the cold side is transfered to the hot side... PLUS the heat generated by the current flowing across the junction.)
Advantages vs. Closed Cycle Refrigeration
* Small and simple (no moving parts)
* Long-lived (100,000+ hours)
* Cooling effect is easily regulated (by adjusting voltage)
* More durable (in most cases) than a refrigeration unit
Disadvantages vs. Closed Cycle Refrigeration
* Maximum heat difference of 70 degrees C (The cold side can be no colder than 70 degrees cooler than the hot side.)
* Inefficient. (10-15% vs. 40-60% for Closed Cycle Refridgeration)
* Efficiency drops as more heat is pushed through the TEC
** You can stack TECs to increase cooling potential, but you create an increasingly inefficient devices as you add more TECs.
Let's Identify our TEC!
* All Peltier Elements will have an ID stamped (usually) on the Hot Side of the element.
* For example "TEC1-12706" (These are the ones we're using for our project)
-- "TE" stands for "ThermoElectric)
-- "C" means "standard size" vs. "S" for "small size"
-- "1" indicates how many stages are in the device
-- "127" indicates how many P-N couples are in the device
-- "06" indicates how many amps the device is rated for
So... our TEC is a Standard 1-stage element with 127 positive-negative couples that can handle 6amps at 12 volts, or 72 Watts.
-- Since our device is 10-15% effective, that 72 watts will get us less than 11 watts of cooling power.
Windows 10 Gestures on a Mac
- Who’s this for? People running Windows on Mac
- The Problem, trackpad multi gestures don’t work on Windows 10.
- Apples BootCamp does a great job of bringing over 90% of the drivers needed for Windows
- One of Windows 10’s best features is multiple desktops.
- Introducing Trackpad++, a 3rd party app that allows you to take advantage of multi finger gestures
- This is the closest thing you’ll get to a fully functional trackpad
- Installation is relatively simple but also a tad sketchy, you will need to also install Power Plan Assistant to bypass Microsofts digital signature policy for 64bit.
- Trackpad++ is “Donation-ware” which means you can use it for free, but it’ll will continue to ask you to update.
- If you like the software, i encourage you to pay the developer, dude needs to pay for a better website. May I suggest SquareSpace.
- Will work with Win7 through Win10
- Why use Windows 10? Everyone has their own reasons but I like to play Xbox Games on my laptop :P
- For Apple Magic Trackpad Users
Connect with us!
- Don't forget to check out our large library of projects at http://twit.tv/kh.
- Join our Google+ Community at http://gplus.to/twitkh
- Tweet at us at @PadreSJ, @Cranky_Hippo, and @Anelf3